It's plays like that, when Golson trusts the players around him to make plays, that can help him better handle a blitz, Flutie said. He pointed to a critical throw Tommy Rees made to Theo Riddick later in the Stanford game as an example.
"It's not about arm strength, it's about putting the ball in a spot where you're giving your guy a chance to make a play, but nothing bad's going to happen," Flutie said. "Against the blitz you get a little more leeway because the defensive guys can't see the ball thrown. They're running man-to-man. They've got their head turned.
"For (Golson), it's just a matter of having a couple good things happen for him in a game in those kind of situations," Flutie said, "and then he gains confidence and you trust it more and more."
Confidence, Flutie said, will likely be necessary when the Irish travel to Oklahoma next week. That's why Flutie believes a big day against BYU could pay even more dividends the following week, when the Irish invade Norman.
"From his development, you'd love to see him turn it loose and he's having one of those days where he's throwing the ball great and running the ball great and you just rack up a bunch of points," Flutie said. "That's why I think this BYU game is so important, especially for Everett, to really get comfortable and regain the confidence."
Flutie believes Golson holds a bright future. Kelly, when talking about the throw to Eifert, said it was an example of the development of a young quarterback who has taken to coaching.
"He's a tremendous athlete. And he makes plays. BK sees that," Flutie said. "The top end's going to be great."
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Believe it or not: QB Travis Wilson is set to...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 67
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 29
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 25