It's plays like that, when Golson trusts the players around him to make plays, that can help him better handle a blitz, Flutie said. He pointed to a critical throw Tommy Rees made to Theo Riddick later in the Stanford game as an example.
"It's not about arm strength, it's about putting the ball in a spot where you're giving your guy a chance to make a play, but nothing bad's going to happen," Flutie said. "Against the blitz you get a little more leeway because the defensive guys can't see the ball thrown. They're running man-to-man. They've got their head turned.
"For (Golson), it's just a matter of having a couple good things happen for him in a game in those kind of situations," Flutie said, "and then he gains confidence and you trust it more and more."
Confidence, Flutie said, will likely be necessary when the Irish travel to Oklahoma next week. That's why Flutie believes a big day against BYU could pay even more dividends the following week, when the Irish invade Norman.
"From his development, you'd love to see him turn it loose and he's having one of those days where he's throwing the ball great and running the ball great and you just rack up a bunch of points," Flutie said. "That's why I think this BYU game is so important, especially for Everett, to really get comfortable and regain the confidence."
Flutie believes Golson holds a bright future. Kelly, when talking about the throw to Eifert, said it was an example of the development of a young quarterback who has taken to coaching.
"He's a tremendous athlete. And he makes plays. BK sees that," Flutie said. "The top end's going to be great."
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Lindros' wait over as he headlines Hockey...
- Pat Summitt, winningest coach in D1 history,...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 66
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22