It's plays like that, when Golson trusts the players around him to make plays, that can help him better handle a blitz, Flutie said. He pointed to a critical throw Tommy Rees made to Theo Riddick later in the Stanford game as an example.
"It's not about arm strength, it's about putting the ball in a spot where you're giving your guy a chance to make a play, but nothing bad's going to happen," Flutie said. "Against the blitz you get a little more leeway because the defensive guys can't see the ball thrown. They're running man-to-man. They've got their head turned.
"For (Golson), it's just a matter of having a couple good things happen for him in a game in those kind of situations," Flutie said, "and then he gains confidence and you trust it more and more."
Confidence, Flutie said, will likely be necessary when the Irish travel to Oklahoma next week. That's why Flutie believes a big day against BYU could pay even more dividends the following week, when the Irish invade Norman.
"From his development, you'd love to see him turn it loose and he's having one of those days where he's throwing the ball great and running the ball great and you just rack up a bunch of points," Flutie said. "That's why I think this BYU game is so important, especially for Everett, to really get comfortable and regain the confidence."
Flutie believes Golson holds a bright future. Kelly, when talking about the throw to Eifert, said it was an example of the development of a young quarterback who has taken to coaching.
"He's a tremendous athlete. And he makes plays. BK sees that," Flutie said. "The top end's going to be great."
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball tournament
- Morning links: SI features Frank Jackson;...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be better...
- High school baseball: Walker leads Pleasant...
- Utah Jazz: Ranking the best No. 12 picks in...
- Point guard was weak spot in '14-'15, but...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on dietary...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 113
- Mike Sorensen: Utah, BYU not getting a... 86
- Guest commentary: Want national... 66
- Utah Utes coaches tailor weekly... 54
- BYU's Taysom Hill, Utah's Devontae... 43
- Morning links: BYU has a shot to snap... 37
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 19
- Ranking the best quarterbacks in... 18