Tagg Romney, the oldest son of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, made headlines after a radio interview where he said he wanted to take a swing at President Barack Obama for calling his dad a liar during the second debate.
"What is it like for you to hear the president of the United States call your dad a liar?" North Carolina radio host Bill LuMaye asked during his interview with Tagg. "How do you react to that?"
"Jump out of your seat and you want to rush down to the stage and take a swing at him," Tagg joked. "But you know you can't do that because, well, first because there's a lot of Secret Service between you and him, but also because this is the nature of the process. They're going to try to do everything they can do to try to make my dad into someone he's not. We signed up for it. We've got to kind of sit there and take our punches, and then send them right back the other way."
Tagg's remark sparked debate online, attracting jokes and outrage.
"That is no way to talk to the president of the United States," Mike Nellis wrote at The Daily Kos. "Disgusting, but sadly what I would expect from someone that was raised by Bully Romney."
"I don't think we should blame Tagg; blame his environment. If you spent your childhood years on the playground hearing, 'Tagg, you're it!' when no one has come close to tagging you, you'd develop enough anger issues to last a lifetime," a Comedy Central blog post said. "Plus, this wasn't a real threat. For one thing, he was obviously joking. For another, he'd have to get past Michelle Obama long before he'd have to deal with the Secret Service."
During an appearance on The View Thursday, Josh Romney said that Tagg has slugged him plenty of times and that "President Obama has nothing to worry about."
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in 2015...
- Girl Scouts asked to end partnership with Barbie
- Obama administration allows 2-year extension...
- New Ukraine prime minister: Crimea will...
- Looking to win a battle in the 16th century?...
- 23 Mormon missionaries in Ukraine transferred...
- Former baseball star Mariano Rivera rescues,...
- US announces visa restrictions on Russians
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of... 51
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 22
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 21
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 20
- Thousands march in pro-invasion rally... 11
- Obama appeals to Democrats in 2015... 11
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 10
- Ukrainian software professionals... 10