BYU football: 1994 win at Notre Dame one of BYU's best
"We knew that LaVell Edwards hadn't won in South Bend. That was important to us," Lewis said. "We wanted to win it for him."
And after the game, "We had the feeling that we belong" in the upper echelon of college football, Lewis added. "We sang Notre Dame's fight song the whole way while flying home."
Can the Cougars, who are a two-touchdown underdog this year against the Fighting Irish, pull another memorable upset?
"When you're there, you can easily get caught up in the atmosphere and tradition of Notre Dame," Heimuli said. "It all comes down to the belief factor. Notre Dame trounced us the year before in Provo, but at Notre Dame, our players stepped up. The year before we didn't think we could win and it showed on the field. That was the big difference."
Heimuli added that the 2012 Cougars need to return to their roots offensively. "They need to get their passing game in gear," he said. "I do not recognize BYU anymore by their offense. Someone hijacked our DNA, our core."
Lewis, who is attending Saturday's game, outlined how the Cougars can beat the Irish again in South Bend.
"It starts with preparation and belief. They need to believe they can win. I think they do. They have a good team. Notre Dame is good and playing with momentum and they have a lot on the line. BYU needs to put it all together on offense and defense for four quarters and play great, emotional, smart football, and the players need to understand that they represent BYU. That's how you win a game like this."
Cougars on the air
BYU (4-3) at No. 5 Notre Dame (6-0)
Saturday, 1:30 p.m. MDT
Notre Dame Stadium, South Bend, Ind.
TV: NBC Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 87
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 71
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 31