Jay Evensen: Mitt Romney's 'binders full of women' remark just another meme-stream distraction
We laugh, we spread the joke and we move on, shoving the serious issues into a back drawer. We worship at the altar of irony without noticing that many of our jokes mock things we profess to hold dear. The "binders" meme, for example, inspired comments that could charitably be described as sexist or objectifying toward women.
This annoying habit says more about Americans than it does the candidates themselves. Despite the distractions, Rube Waddell still managed a successful big-league pitching career. Had be lived today and followed politics, he might have gone mad.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- George F. Will: President Obama's epiphanies...
- Dan Liljenquist: Detroit is sending a message...
- Jay Evensen: Utah inversions — 100...
- In our opinion: Refinery should be allowed to...
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a problem
- Letter: American billionaires
- Letter: Golden goose
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 65
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 63
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 44
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 42
- Letter: American billionaires 33
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 32
- In our opinion: No more 'Government... 32
- President should not act without... 28