Jay Evensen: Mitt Romney's 'binders full of women' remark just another meme-stream distraction
We laugh, we spread the joke and we move on, shoving the serious issues into a back drawer. We worship at the altar of irony without noticing that many of our jokes mock things we profess to hold dear. The "binders" meme, for example, inspired comments that could charitably be described as sexist or objectifying toward women.
This annoying habit says more about Americans than it does the candidates themselves. Despite the distractions, Rube Waddell still managed a successful big-league pitching career. Had be lived today and followed politics, he might have gone mad.
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America and...
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to Hitler?
- My view: History lesson — 'Taking back'...
- Endangered Species Act lost sight of its mission
- Who are the real heroes of election reform?
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with...
- Letter: Religious freedom
- Robert J. Samuelson: Income tax has become a...
- Letter: Minimum Wage insufficient 66
- Has Obama's foreign policy emboldened... 62
- Jay Evensen: Obama could use a dose of... 60
- Letter: Religious freedom 53
- Obama's biggest test: Ukraine 33
- In our opinion: Boy Scouts of America... 30
- Sen. Ted Cruz opens 2014 CPAC with... 29
- Was Hillary right to compare Putin to... 27