Heaven Is Real: A doctor’s experience with the afterlife
hoto illustration by Newsweek; Source: Buena Vista Images-Getty Images
Our take: Dr. Eben Alexander, a neurosurgeon, is a man of science. But a seven-day coma in 2008 gave him a profoundly different perspective on life and reality as he experienced what is commonly called a near-death experience and a glimpse of the afterlife. A book about his experience is coming out later this month, and here is a column he wrote about it.
As a neurosurgeon, I did not believe in the phenomenon of near-death experiences. I grew up in a scientific world, the son of a neurosurgeon. I followed my fathers path and became an academic neurosurgeon, teaching at Harvard Medical School and other universities. I understand what happens to the brain when people are near death, and I had always believed there were good scientific explanations for the heavenly out-of-body journeys described by those who narrowly escaped death.
The brain is an astonishingly sophisticated but extremely delicate mechanism. Reduce the amount of oxygen it receives by the smallest amount and it will react. It was no big surprise that people who had undergone severe trauma would return from their experiences with strange stories. But that didnt mean they had journeyed anywhere real.
Read more about Heaven Is Real: A Doctor's Experience With the Afterlife on The Daily Beast.
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- Local Muslims end Ramadan with celebration
- New report says 2013 was 'the largest...
- New collaboration helps track pioneer...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 23
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 8
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 4
- Having trouble understanding the Bible?... 4