Rick Wilking, Associated Press Photo/Pool
Our take: President Barack Obama and Governor Mitt Romney have been coached on their style rather than substance for tonight debate, according to Alex Altman from Time. Will their style sway voters more than their substance? Altman explains what each candidate is up against:
"Before Barack Obama and Mitt Romney debated in Denver, some very smart political scientists tried to dampen the overheated expectations game with a dose of historical context. Debates, they argued, usually don't matter that much. They loom large in our recollection of past races because they offer a snapshot of a candidates strength or fecklessness, but they are rarely decisive. Many pundits trumpeted this perspective. Then Romney beat Obama in Denver and took off in the polls, turning a race that seemed like Obamas to lose into a nail-biter with three weeks to go. What happened?
Two things: Romney exceeded expectations, and the media abetted by panicky liberals fashioned a narrative that Obama's performance was worse than it actually was. After a brief horse race boost, Romney has settled back into a virtual tie with the President, according to RealClearPolitics' polling averages. That's exactly the same position the two candidates were in on Labor Day, before Obama received a post-convention bump of his own. The debate didnt dramatically alter the race; it restored its equilibrium."
- Security breached: Intruder gets into White...
- 'The Voice' returns Monday with Pharrell,...
- Tense hunt in trooper ambush case hits 8 days
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Second man arrested trying to enter White...
- After vote to stay in UK, Scots must heal divide
- Italian village honoring pilots of WWII US...
- Actress detained by police refuses to apologize
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- School police stock up on free military... 11
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 8
- How much America wants to be taxed 8
- New Jersey loses 4th casino as Trump... 5
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 5
- US to assign 3,000 from US military to... 4