TY RUTLEDGE, Desert Hills, football: This Thunder quarterback had a game he won't soon forget last week.
He passed for three touchdowns, ran for a touchdown and also recovered a fumble for a touchdown to lead Desert Hills to a 46-38 triple-overtime upset victory over Hurricane.
The victory snapped Hurricane's 20-game winning streak.
"When you put everything you have into something, give until you can't give anymore, and you beat a great team like Hurricane, well it's the best feeling in the world," said Rutledge afterward.
The senior finished the game completing 14-of-27 passes for 219 yards and three touchdowns. He also rushed for 122 yards and a touchdown on 22 carries.
With another strong performance from Rutledge this week, Desert Hills can clinch the Region 9 top seed for the playoffs.
ERIKA ALVEY, Stansbury, volleyball: Isn't one of the tallest players on the court at 5-foot-7, but no one plays bigger than the senior setter.
"She's probably one of the smartest setters, I've ever worked with," said coach Clint Barnes. "She just knows where to put the ball at the right time. She has great court awareness, and she's great at finding the open hitter."
Voted homecoming queen by her peers, Alvey also plays basketball and runs track, while maintaining a 3.96 GPA. As of last week, she had 172 career aces and 1,497 career assists.
When the situation becomes difficult for the team, it's Alvey the players look to for leadership.
"She stays very focused," Barnes said. "She knows how to bring the team back. … She keeps the team focused, composed."
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit smiles...
- Tournament central: 5A boys quarterfinals...
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for Wasatch...
- High school boys basketball: Lone Peak...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in pivotal...
- Dick Harmon: WCC tournament a chance for BYU...
- High school boys basketball: American Fork...
- High school boys basketball: Davis survives...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 75
- Jimmer Fredette makes debut with... 68
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 54
- UteLinks: A look at Utah's RPI breakdown 52
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 44
- BYU baseball: BYU beats Utah, 20-3 43
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 39
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 27