Jim Mone, Associated Press
MINNEAPOLIS — Seimone Augustus is an Olympic gold medalist and a WNBA champion who is gunning for her second straight title.
The Minnesota Lynx star is also a lesbian.
For years, Augustus kept her sexual preference, and even her relationship with girlfriend LaTaya Varner, out of the public eye. Now, with Minnesota considering a constitutional amendment that would ban gay marriage, the intensely private Augustus is speaking out.
Augustus tells The Associated Press it's time for her to make her voice heard in hopes of helping others who are struggling to come out of the closet. She hopes her platform as a basketball star playing in the WNBA Finals on national television will help her influence voters in November.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 98
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43