Utah Utes football: Another California prep QB Brandon Cox plans to sign with Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — Brandon Cox, a 6-foot-3, 185-pound quarterback from Pasadena (Calif.) High School, has accepted a scholarship offer from the University of Utah. He plans to sign in February and join the Utes in June.
Cox, who originally committed to Arizona, noted that he's impressed with Utah coach Kyle Whittingham and his lengthy tenure with the Utes. Such loyalty is appealing, Cox explained, because it means he'll be part of a stable program.
Although Cox has been slowed by a stress fracture in his foot this season, he posted some impressive numbers as a junior. The dual-threat quarterback passed for 2,697 yards in 2011 with 26 touchdowns and only five interceptions. He ran for 562 yards and eight scores.
Cox is also an accomplished baseball pitcher and centerfielder, noting that he'll play his senior year in high school before beginning his college football career.
Once Cox joins the Utes, he's looking forward to being in the mix with two other quarterbacks with Southern California roots — current starter Travis Wilson (San Clemente HS) and committed recruit Conner Manning (El Toro HS).
Competition, Cox explained, is something he doesn't shy away from.
"I'm not looking for any handouts or anything," Cox said. "I want to compete and that's what I was kind of born and raised to do."
Cox is hopeful to win the position and add an aspect to the offense that he knows he can do.
"I feel good about everything. I'm excited," Cox said. "I'm just ready to get up there and compete for that starting job and be a Ute."
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 57
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37