Utah Utes football: Another California prep QB Brandon Cox plans to sign with Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — Brandon Cox, a 6-foot-3, 185-pound quarterback from Pasadena (Calif.) High School, has accepted a scholarship offer from the University of Utah. He plans to sign in February and join the Utes in June.
Cox, who originally committed to Arizona, noted that he's impressed with Utah coach Kyle Whittingham and his lengthy tenure with the Utes. Such loyalty is appealing, Cox explained, because it means he'll be part of a stable program.
Although Cox has been slowed by a stress fracture in his foot this season, he posted some impressive numbers as a junior. The dual-threat quarterback passed for 2,697 yards in 2011 with 26 touchdowns and only five interceptions. He ran for 562 yards and eight scores.
Cox is also an accomplished baseball pitcher and centerfielder, noting that he'll play his senior year in high school before beginning his college football career.
Once Cox joins the Utes, he's looking forward to being in the mix with two other quarterbacks with Southern California roots — current starter Travis Wilson (San Clemente HS) and committed recruit Conner Manning (El Toro HS).
Competition, Cox explained, is something he doesn't shy away from.
"I'm not looking for any handouts or anything," Cox said. "I want to compete and that's what I was kind of born and raised to do."
Cox is hopeful to win the position and add an aspect to the offense that he knows he can do.
"I feel good about everything. I'm excited," Cox said. "I'm just ready to get up there and compete for that starting job and be a Ute."
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Live streams: 1A volleyball tournament...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 59
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 54
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 45
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 34
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32