When asked what she thought about bringing children to see the exhibit, she said parents will have to make that decision themselves. Children may be shocked by some things in the show, Sanchez acknowledged, but mature adults may be as well.
She notes that the exhibit was designed to allow visitors to walk around the most mature pieces, but there is a tremendous amount of material that is less provocative.
Sanchez hopes some people will walk away from the museum wondering why society considers naked women in Renaissance paintings to be totally acceptable for all audiences but aren't as comfortable with female bodies in photos and videos in modern art.
In addition to thinking about the art and how visitors will interact with it, Sanchez said the museum also got more in touch with the Seattle museum's feminine side.
They found that about 6 percent of Seattle's collection is credited to female artists, in contrast to the Pompidou's 18 percent. Part of the explanation for that is the preponderance of Asian and native artworks in Seattle, many of which many have had women contributors but seldom had women credited.
Follow Donna Blankinship on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/dgblankinship .
If you go...
SEATTLE ART MUSEUM: http://seattleartmuseum.org , Elles: Pompidou Oct. 11, 2012-Jan. 13, 2013, Elles: SAM Oct. 11, 2012-Feb. 17, 2013 at 1300 1st Ave., Seattle. Admission to the museum and the special exhibits, 10 a.m. To 5 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday and open until 9 p.m. on Thursday and Friday. $23 adults, $20 seniors and military, $12 students and teens, free for children 12 and under. Tickets are $3 less all day Thursday and after 5 p.m. Friday.
- California orders churches, others to pay for...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- 2 dead in shooting attack at Canada's Parliament
- US: IS earns $1M per day in black market oil...
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious Liberty...
- Inspector: 'Serious lapse' at Secret Service
- #ThrowbackThursday: Why do we love the '90s?
- Threat to break isolation in Liberia over food
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 114
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 22
- California orders churches, others to... 21
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 18
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- At rallies, Obama casts 2014 as key for... 8
- This type of high school can increase... 8
- Kerry: 'Irresponsible' not to aid Kurds... 7