When asked what she thought about bringing children to see the exhibit, she said parents will have to make that decision themselves. Children may be shocked by some things in the show, Sanchez acknowledged, but mature adults may be as well.
She notes that the exhibit was designed to allow visitors to walk around the most mature pieces, but there is a tremendous amount of material that is less provocative.
Sanchez hopes some people will walk away from the museum wondering why society considers naked women in Renaissance paintings to be totally acceptable for all audiences but aren't as comfortable with female bodies in photos and videos in modern art.
In addition to thinking about the art and how visitors will interact with it, Sanchez said the museum also got more in touch with the Seattle museum's feminine side.
They found that about 6 percent of Seattle's collection is credited to female artists, in contrast to the Pompidou's 18 percent. Part of the explanation for that is the preponderance of Asian and native artworks in Seattle, many of which many have had women contributors but seldom had women credited.
Follow Donna Blankinship on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/dgblankinship .
If you go...
SEATTLE ART MUSEUM: http://seattleartmuseum.org , Elles: Pompidou Oct. 11, 2012-Jan. 13, 2013, Elles: SAM Oct. 11, 2012-Feb. 17, 2013 at 1300 1st Ave., Seattle. Admission to the museum and the special exhibits, 10 a.m. To 5 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday and open until 9 p.m. on Thursday and Friday. $23 adults, $20 seniors and military, $12 students and teens, free for children 12 and under. Tickets are $3 less all day Thursday and after 5 p.m. Friday.
- Texas' Perry says disparaging tweet unauthorized
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Common Core,...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh Hewitt...
- Feds eye stricter rules for railroad rights...
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach Europe...
- Lawmakers: Islamic State groups wants to hit US
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- 10 things to know about corporate... 32
- Obama tamps down prospect of strikes in... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- Saudi king says terrorists will reach... 13
- It's about time the government... 12
- Freelancers and millennials help usher... 11
- House, Senate intel chiefs press White... 10