Islamic militant group linked to al-Qaida helps seize missile base
BEIRUT — Fighters from a shadowy militant group with suspected links to al-Qaida joined Syrian rebels in seizing a government missile defense base in northern Syria on Friday, according to activists and amateur video.
It was unclear if the rebels were able to hold the base after the attack, and analysts questioned whether they would be able to make use of any of the missiles they may have spirited away.
Nevertheless, the assault underscored fears of advanced weaponry falling into the hands of extremists playing an increasingly large role in Syria's civil war.
Videos purportedly shot inside the air defense base and posted online stated that the extremist group, Jabhat al-Nusra, participated in the overnight battle near the village of al-Taaneh, three miles east of the country's largest city, Aleppo. The videos show dozens of fighters inside the base near a radar tower, along with rows of large missiles, some on the backs of trucks.
A report by a correspondent with the Arabic satellite network Al-Jazeera, who visited the base Friday, said Jabhat al-Nusra took the lead in the attack, killing three guards and taking others prisoner before seizing the base. The report showed a number of missiles and charred buildings, as well as fighters wearing black masks.
Two Aleppo-based activists and Rami Abdul-Rahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, also said Jabhat al-Nusra fought in the battle with other rebel groups. They disputed the notion that the extremist group had the lead role in the attack, however.
It was impossible to independently verify the videos and conflicting reports because of restrictions on reporting in Syria.
- Washington school gunman was homecoming...
- NYC police commissioner: Hatchet attack was...
- Suspect from Salt Lake City arrested in death...
- Ebola: More calls for travel bans or quarantines
- Apology for student who says teacher...
- Religious, political leaders in Michigan and...
- Sonar mapping shines new light on partially...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 117
- California orders churches, others to... 28
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 25
- Washington school gunman was homecoming... 21
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious... 13
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- Guantanamo prisoners in protest over... 9
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an... 9