Islamic militant group linked to al-Qaida helps seize missile base
BEIRUT — Fighters from a shadowy militant group with suspected links to al-Qaida joined Syrian rebels in seizing a government missile defense base in northern Syria on Friday, according to activists and amateur video.
It was unclear if the rebels were able to hold the base after the attack, and analysts questioned whether they would be able to make use of any of the missiles they may have spirited away.
Nevertheless, the assault underscored fears of advanced weaponry falling into the hands of extremists playing an increasingly large role in Syria's civil war.
Videos purportedly shot inside the air defense base and posted online stated that the extremist group, Jabhat al-Nusra, participated in the overnight battle near the village of al-Taaneh, three miles east of the country's largest city, Aleppo. The videos show dozens of fighters inside the base near a radar tower, along with rows of large missiles, some on the backs of trucks.
A report by a correspondent with the Arabic satellite network Al-Jazeera, who visited the base Friday, said Jabhat al-Nusra took the lead in the attack, killing three guards and taking others prisoner before seizing the base. The report showed a number of missiles and charred buildings, as well as fighters wearing black masks.
Two Aleppo-based activists and Rami Abdul-Rahman, head of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, also said Jabhat al-Nusra fought in the battle with other rebel groups. They disputed the notion that the extremist group had the lead role in the attack, however.
It was impossible to independently verify the videos and conflicting reports because of restrictions on reporting in Syria.
- Malaysian plane mystery: Stolen passports, 5...
- Oil slick not from missing Malaysian plane;...
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- Supreme Court sides with Wyoming landowner;...
- Senate Democrats choose election strategy:...
- How can jet disappear? In the ocean, it's not...
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's...
- Early auditions for 2016 Republican... 25
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 22
- Half of millennials more likely to lean... 19
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for... 14
- US announces visa restrictions on Russians 9
- Survey: Uninsured rate drops from 17.1... 9
- Oil slick not from missing Malaysian... 9
- Supreme Court sides with Wyoming... 9