BOISE — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Idaho Steelheads 5-3 Friday night in Boise to open the regular season.
Riley Armstrong recorded a hat trick, scoring two third period goals to break a 3-3 tie in the win. Goaltender Andrew Engelage stopped 37 of 40 shots to earn the victory.
The Grizzlies host Idaho at 7 p.m. today at the Maverik Center in what is expected to be the largest opening night crowd in over a decade.
Kory Falite gave Utah a 1-0 lead on a power-play goal just past the four minute mark of the first period as he wrapped in a puck from behind. Tommy Maxwell and James Martin picked up assists.
Utah made it 2-1 5:58 into the second period as Brad Mills slammed in a Josh Burrows shot.
The Grizzlies made it 3-2 38 seconds after Idaho again tied it as Riley Armstrong started his natural hat trick by hammering home a shot assisted by Bryan Cameron and Paul McIlveen with 1:33 left in the third period.
After surrendering a 3-2 lead in the third period, Utah regained control on another power-play goal as Drew MacKenzie and Mitch Wahl went tic-tac-toe back to Armstrong in the left circle. Armstrong who won a late battle in his own end to keep the game 4-3 then raced back down ice for a big insurance goal with 1:19 left in the game.
Grizzlies on the air
Idaho Steelheads (0-1) at Utah Grizzlies (1-0)
Saturday, 7 p.m.
Maverik Center, West Valley City
Radio: 1320 AM
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- David Stockton, son of John, saves the day...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 72
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 44
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26