Consumer confidence hits 5-year high
Index increases 5 points from September to October
WASHINGTON (MCT) — Despite dark clouds in the global and U.S. economies, American consumers are feeling more upbeat than they have at any time since the fall of 2007.
That is according to an unexpectedly strong reading of consumer sentiment from the University of Michigan and Thomson Reuters, released Friday. The report suggests that the holiday shopping season could turn out stronger than forecast.
The widely followed index jumped to 83.1 in October — nearly a five-point gain from the previous month and the highest since September 2007.
Measures of both components of the index — people's assessment of their current financial conditions and future expectations — went up over the month. Sentiment improved for families making more than $75,000, as well as those making less.
Most analysts had forecast a slight drop in consumer confidence this month, given persistent sluggish growth at home and increasing worries about a global slowdown. Hiring continues to be slow, gas prices remain high, and businesses and many others are concerned about looming tax increases and fiscal spending cuts set to take effect in January.
But consumers seem to be wearing these troubles like a light sweater. The Michigan survey is the third economic report in a week to show a post-recession best.
Last Friday, the Labor Department reported that the unemployment rate fell to a 31/2-year low of 7.8 percent in September, and on Thursday officials said new jobless claims last week fell to their lowest level since February 2008.
Although many are skeptical about the big drops in jobless rate and weekly claims, the latest consumer-confidence measure may reflect a pick-up in job growth from spring, more signs of a recovering housing market, and somewhat calmer headlines coming out of the eurozone. Plus, the Federal Reserve last month launched a new round of monetary stimulus and pledged to fight high joblessness with everything it has.
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make comparisons when...
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000 —...
- Facebook makes the most obvious move ever...
- 12 kinds of late-night office emails
- 7 benefits of taking vacation time
- Utah exceeds Gov. Herbert's jobs goal
- Twitter tries to block images of James Foley...
- Proposed collector natural gas lines in Moab...
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 14
- 12 women who should be on dollar bills 13
- Raising a kid will cost you $245,000... 8
- Proposed collector natural gas lines in... 7
- Balancing act: Readers dispute... 4
- New grant money helps combat air pollution 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't make... 4
- Twitter tries to block images of James... 3