Fernando Vergara, Associated Press
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina — Colombia and Ecuador racked up impressive wins in South American World Cup qualifying on Friday, only to be overshadowed by Lionel Messi and his surging Argentina teammates.
Messi scored two goals and Sergio Aguero added another to overpower Uruguay 3-0, keeping the Argentines in first place in the qualifying standings for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Argentina has 17 points, one more than Colombia and Ecuador and five ahead of Uruguay and Chile.
Colombia defeated Paraguay 2-0, with Radamel Falcao scoring two second-half goal, while Ecuador defeated Chile 3-1, with Felipe Caicedo scoring either side of halftime and Segundo Castillo adding a late goal.
Bolivia was held 1-1 at home by Peru, in a result that did little for either of the two struggling teams.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19