Fernando Vergara, Associated Press
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina — Colombia and Ecuador racked up impressive wins in South American World Cup qualifying on Friday, only to be overshadowed by Lionel Messi and his surging Argentina teammates.
Messi scored two goals and Sergio Aguero added another to overpower Uruguay 3-0, keeping the Argentines in first place in the qualifying standings for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Argentina has 17 points, one more than Colombia and Ecuador and five ahead of Uruguay and Chile.
Colombia defeated Paraguay 2-0, with Radamel Falcao scoring two second-half goal, while Ecuador defeated Chile 3-1, with Felipe Caicedo scoring either side of halftime and Segundo Castillo adding a late goal.
Bolivia was held 1-1 at home by Peru, in a result that did little for either of the two struggling teams.
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30