Fernando Vergara, Associated Press
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina — Colombia and Ecuador racked up impressive wins in South American World Cup qualifying on Friday, only to be overshadowed by Lionel Messi and his surging Argentina teammates.
Messi scored two goals and Sergio Aguero added another to overpower Uruguay 3-0, keeping the Argentines in first place in the qualifying standings for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Argentina has 17 points, one more than Colombia and Ecuador and five ahead of Uruguay and Chile.
Colombia defeated Paraguay 2-0, with Radamel Falcao scoring two second-half goal, while Ecuador defeated Chile 3-1, with Felipe Caicedo scoring either side of halftime and Segundo Castillo adding a late goal.
Bolivia was held 1-1 at home by Peru, in a result that did little for either of the two struggling teams.
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl game brawl
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon State
- Brady Poppinga: Confronting an unlikely opponent
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- BYU's Tyler Haws' recovery from an ankle...
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head coach...
- Jazz rookie Dante Exum looks like a kid but...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 172
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 113
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Report: Video games experts, BYU head... 45
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 43