Letter: Matheson's bipartisan work helps improve overall quality of life for Utahns
Ravell Call, Deseret News
I've noticed a lack of letters supporting Rep. Jim Matheson. I would like to point out Matheson's support for education, especially Pell Grants and keeping student aid affordable.
Here in Utah, 75 percent of our college students depend on these types of aid in order to complete their education. I, for one, required a federal grant to complete my master's degree in nursing. Spending on education is always an investment in the future, reducing unemployment and fostering self-reliance.
Additionally, Matheson's support for transportation has brought significant federal investment into Utah's highway system, including the long overdue reconstruction of I-15 in Utah County and also the development and operation of TRAX and FrontRunner. These were a direct result of bipartisan work between Matheson, former Sen. Bob Bennett and local planners — including UDOT. These types of investments improve overall quality of life for all Utahns and our guests.
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Letter: Society puzzles
- Get the names right — or suffer...
- Americans are changing their tune on foreign...
- Jay Evensen: Utahns support Common Core, even...
- Letter: Police brutality 62
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 48
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 41
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Letter: Society puzzles 32
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 31