Letter: Matheson's bipartisan work helps improve overall quality of life for Utahns
Ravell Call, Deseret News
I've noticed a lack of letters supporting Rep. Jim Matheson. I would like to point out Matheson's support for education, especially Pell Grants and keeping student aid affordable.
Here in Utah, 75 percent of our college students depend on these types of aid in order to complete their education. I, for one, required a federal grant to complete my master's degree in nursing. Spending on education is always an investment in the future, reducing unemployment and fostering self-reliance.
Additionally, Matheson's support for transportation has brought significant federal investment into Utah's highway system, including the long overdue reconstruction of I-15 in Utah County and also the development and operation of TRAX and FrontRunner. These were a direct result of bipartisan work between Matheson, former Sen. Bob Bennett and local planners — including UDOT. These types of investments improve overall quality of life for all Utahns and our guests.
- In our opinion: Paul Ryan's promising...
- Involve Utahns in national monument designations
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Becoming mentally...
- Letter: Welfare reform
- Legitimate, productive businesses are...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the...
- Helping kids master what matters: Emotions,...
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 80
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 54
- In our opinion: Paul Ryan's promising... 53
- Capitalism and the common good:... 45
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 39
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the... 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36
- In our opinion: Federal contracting... 36