Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Sponsors of Millcreek incorporation are playing on residents' fears, claiming we have to become a city to avoid being "gobbled up' via annexation by neighboring cities. Truth is, no city has imminent plans to annex Millcreek.
Annexation is a lengthy, difficult process that can't be accomplished overnight, and it must be initiated by property owners inside Millcreek (not neighboring cities). The first step is filing paperwork, and no paperwork has been filed.
Sponsors claim it is "now or never" for Millcreek to become a city to instill a false sense of urgency and make residents think incorporation will provide protection from annexation. Again, the truth is that even if Millcreek becomes a city, Millcreek City property owners could still petition to be annexed by a neighboring city. Incorporation does not preclude future annexations any more than our current township boundaries.
In reality, protection lies in state law which dictates difficult hurdles and requirements that annexation petitioners must satisfy, and rules about revenue not exceeding costs by more than 5 percent to prevent "cherry-picking."
The sponsors need to stop the fear-mongering sound bites and share all the facts about annexation. Go to www.notocityofmillcreek.org to get the facts. Vote "No" on Nov. 6.
Salt Lake City
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- In our opinion: With Shurtleff and Swallow...
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- My view: A global warming solution to grow...
- Helping kids master what matters: Emotions,...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- The relationship between religiosity and...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 63
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 49
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 35
- The complicated political views of... 33
- My view: A global warming solution to... 29