Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Sponsors of Millcreek incorporation are playing on residents' fears, claiming we have to become a city to avoid being "gobbled up' via annexation by neighboring cities. Truth is, no city has imminent plans to annex Millcreek.
Annexation is a lengthy, difficult process that can't be accomplished overnight, and it must be initiated by property owners inside Millcreek (not neighboring cities). The first step is filing paperwork, and no paperwork has been filed.
Sponsors claim it is "now or never" for Millcreek to become a city to instill a false sense of urgency and make residents think incorporation will provide protection from annexation. Again, the truth is that even if Millcreek becomes a city, Millcreek City property owners could still petition to be annexed by a neighboring city. Incorporation does not preclude future annexations any more than our current township boundaries.
In reality, protection lies in state law which dictates difficult hurdles and requirements that annexation petitioners must satisfy, and rules about revenue not exceeding costs by more than 5 percent to prevent "cherry-picking."
The sponsors need to stop the fear-mongering sound bites and share all the facts about annexation. Go to www.notocityofmillcreek.org to get the facts. Vote "No" on Nov. 6.
Salt Lake City
- 18 of the most heart warming and feel-good...
- Why LDS Church's anti-discrimination stance...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Our thoughts...
- What one word best describes Barack Obama?
- What The New York Times gets wrong about...
- Michael Gerson: America has enough problems...
- In our opinion: Fix, don't repeal, Affordable...
- In our opinion: Fairness for all: Religion...
- What The New York Times gets wrong... 89
- In our opinion: Fix, don't repeal,... 73
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: Utah... 50
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize... 38
- In our opinion: Fairness for all:... 38
- Jay Evensen: Will Obama visit Utah? Do... 37
- Why LDS Church's anti-discrimination... 35
- In our opinion: It's time for Utah to... 27