Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
Sponsors of Millcreek incorporation are playing on residents' fears, claiming we have to become a city to avoid being "gobbled up' via annexation by neighboring cities. Truth is, no city has imminent plans to annex Millcreek.
Annexation is a lengthy, difficult process that can't be accomplished overnight, and it must be initiated by property owners inside Millcreek (not neighboring cities). The first step is filing paperwork, and no paperwork has been filed.
Sponsors claim it is "now or never" for Millcreek to become a city to instill a false sense of urgency and make residents think incorporation will provide protection from annexation. Again, the truth is that even if Millcreek becomes a city, Millcreek City property owners could still petition to be annexed by a neighboring city. Incorporation does not preclude future annexations any more than our current township boundaries.
In reality, protection lies in state law which dictates difficult hurdles and requirements that annexation petitioners must satisfy, and rules about revenue not exceeding costs by more than 5 percent to prevent "cherry-picking."
The sponsors need to stop the fear-mongering sound bites and share all the facts about annexation. Go to www.notocityofmillcreek.org to get the facts. Vote "No" on Nov. 6.
Salt Lake City
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Lessons learned from...
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do better...
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core just...
- Lois M. Collins: School start times are...
- In our opinion: Recent Napa Valley earthquake...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Same-sex...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 81
- Letter: Police brutality 60
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 46
- Whitt Flora: It's time to put U.S.... 35
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 32
- Robert J. Samuelson: Do Democrats do it... 28
- Michael Gerson: Too detached to lead?... 25
- In our opinion: To be vigilant,... 23