NEW YORK — CC Sabathia pitched a four-hitter and the New York Yankees once again came out on the right side of a disputed home run call against the Orioles in October, beating Baltimore 3-1 Friday in the deciding Game 5 to reach the AL championship series against Detroit.
Nate McLouth's bid for a tying homer in the sixth inning was ruled foul by the slimmest of margins. Sabathia hung on in the late innings for his first postseason complete game and defeated the Orioles for the second time in this division series
The ALCS opens Saturday at Yankee Stadium.
Raul Ibanez hit a go-ahead single in the fifth off Jason Hammel and Ichiro Suzuki added an RBI double in the sixth.
Curtis Granderson boosted it to 3-0 with a second-deck solo homer in the seventh. The Yankees advanced following their decision to bench slumping third baseman Alex Rodriguez, their $275 million man.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 46
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 43
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 39
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8
- Utah State basketball: Aggie men to... 6