SOUTH BEND, Ind. — A former Indiana surgeon captured in Italy after five years on the run has been sentenced to seven years in prison for health care fraud.
A federal judge who sentenced Mark Weinberger on Friday said imposed a relatively lengthy sentence because Weinberger fled and because of the trouble he caused his former patients and employees a lot of problems.
Weinberger pleaded guilty in July to 22 counts of health care fraud. He once ran a nose and sinus clinic in Merrillville, where prosecutors say he billed insurers and patients for procedures he didn't perform.
He vanished during a 2004 European vacation and was captured in December 2009 on an Italian mountainside, where authorities say he had been living in a tent.
Weinberger apologized for his actions during Friday's hearing.
- Heroes 2014: Ex-CIA officer uses...
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan combat
- Bad Santa? 5 tips to tackle your holiday gift...
- Photo gallery: Christmas around the world
- How to help find a cure for Ebola from the...
- Father of pilot captured by Islamic State...
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols, relax...
- Protesters rally for 2nd night after shooting...
- Obama 's Christmas in Hawaii: Carols,... 16
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 14
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 11
- Key developments in the case of slain... 10
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 9
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan... 9
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6
- Sony announces limited release for 'The... 5