SOUTH BEND, Ind. — A former Indiana surgeon captured in Italy after five years on the run has been sentenced to seven years in prison for health care fraud.
A federal judge who sentenced Mark Weinberger on Friday said imposed a relatively lengthy sentence because Weinberger fled and because of the trouble he caused his former patients and employees a lot of problems.
Weinberger pleaded guilty in July to 22 counts of health care fraud. He once ran a nose and sinus clinic in Merrillville, where prosecutors say he billed insurers and patients for procedures he didn't perform.
He vanished during a 2004 European vacation and was captured in December 2009 on an Italian mountainside, where authorities say he had been living in a tent.
Weinberger apologized for his actions during Friday's hearing.
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- Students clean up after mayhem near pumpkin fest
- Wanted: Cities interested in hosting 2024...
- Indiana man's confession leads to 7 bodies
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- This type of high school can increase your...
- Can public officials refuse to perform...
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 18
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 16
- On campaign trail, Obama says GOP is... 15
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14