LOS ANGELES — Henry Thomas was just 10 years old when the role of Elliott in "E.T. — the Extra-Terrestrial" made him a star. With the Steven Spielberg classic finally out this week on a 30th-anniversary Blu-ray, Thomas — now a 41-year-old father of three — was nice enough to take the time to choose his five favorite family films. Here he is, in his own words:
— "The Wizard of Oz" (1939): A great film any way you slice it! The songs are great for kids and the characters really capture the imagination of young and old alike. An excellent performance by everyone, but especially Toto (my favorite).
— "The Terror of Tiny Town" (1938): A classic Western acted entirely by small performers and Shetland ponies. This is one of my favorites.
— "Matilda" (1996): My daughters love this film (a Roald Dahl story directed by Danny DeVito) and we watch it at least once a week.
— "Mary Poppins" (1964): Despite some very bad British accenting, Dick Van Dyke still can't fail next to Julie Andrews and some wonderful supporting actors in this classic.
— "The Incredibles" (2004): A great film that I like to watch probably more than my kids.
Oh, was that five? Don't forget "E.T."!
What are your favorite family films? Tell AP Movie Critic Christy Lemire through Twitter: http://twitter.com/christylemire.
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Africa and...
- Students clean up after mayhem near pumpkin fest
- Friends, family of Dallas Ebola patient reach...
- Bishops scrap welcome to gays in sign of split
- The poorest of the poor in many Third World...
- Some 60 head of cattle shot in Nevada spree;...
- CDC to revise Ebola protocol, Pentagon preps...
- 3 Ohioans now quarantined after Ebola nurse...
- Can public officials refuse to perform... 68
- Official: 2nd worker isolated within 90... 21
- New Ebola 'czar' knows Washington, but... 21
- Why I stand with the Houston Five 16
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Gay marriage becomes legal in Arizona,... 14
- Utah health officials prepare for... 13
- Vatican alters draft report translation... 12