LOS ANGELES — Henry Thomas was just 10 years old when the role of Elliott in "E.T. — the Extra-Terrestrial" made him a star. With the Steven Spielberg classic finally out this week on a 30th-anniversary Blu-ray, Thomas — now a 41-year-old father of three — was nice enough to take the time to choose his five favorite family films. Here he is, in his own words:
— "The Wizard of Oz" (1939): A great film any way you slice it! The songs are great for kids and the characters really capture the imagination of young and old alike. An excellent performance by everyone, but especially Toto (my favorite).
— "The Terror of Tiny Town" (1938): A classic Western acted entirely by small performers and Shetland ponies. This is one of my favorites.
— "Matilda" (1996): My daughters love this film (a Roald Dahl story directed by Danny DeVito) and we watch it at least once a week.
— "Mary Poppins" (1964): Despite some very bad British accenting, Dick Van Dyke still can't fail next to Julie Andrews and some wonderful supporting actors in this classic.
— "The Incredibles" (2004): A great film that I like to watch probably more than my kids.
Oh, was that five? Don't forget "E.T."!
What are your favorite family films? Tell AP Movie Critic Christy Lemire through Twitter: http://twitter.com/christylemire.
- Judge rejects motion, clearing way for Steven...
- Oklahoma court: Ten Commandments monument...
- Religious schools and universities on edge...
- A world apart: 2 women with birthdates in...
- Who is in, and about to get in, the GOP race...
- Don't blink or you might miss the leap second...
- NBC to Donald Trump: You're fired
- Convicted killer thought fellow escapee was...
- Religious leaders ponder next steps... 60
- Oklahoma court: Ten Commandments... 45
- White House lit in rainbow colors after... 33
- Religious schools and universities on... 26
- Woman removes Confederate flag in front... 25
- NBC to Donald Trump: You're fired 24
- Obama delivers unvarnished race lecture... 13
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 13