LOS ANGELES — Henry Thomas was just 10 years old when the role of Elliott in "E.T. — the Extra-Terrestrial" made him a star. With the Steven Spielberg classic finally out this week on a 30th-anniversary Blu-ray, Thomas — now a 41-year-old father of three — was nice enough to take the time to choose his five favorite family films. Here he is, in his own words:
— "The Wizard of Oz" (1939): A great film any way you slice it! The songs are great for kids and the characters really capture the imagination of young and old alike. An excellent performance by everyone, but especially Toto (my favorite).
— "The Terror of Tiny Town" (1938): A classic Western acted entirely by small performers and Shetland ponies. This is one of my favorites.
— "Matilda" (1996): My daughters love this film (a Roald Dahl story directed by Danny DeVito) and we watch it at least once a week.
— "Mary Poppins" (1964): Despite some very bad British accenting, Dick Van Dyke still can't fail next to Julie Andrews and some wonderful supporting actors in this classic.
— "The Incredibles" (2004): A great film that I like to watch probably more than my kids.
Oh, was that five? Don't forget "E.T."!
What are your favorite family films? Tell AP Movie Critic Christy Lemire through Twitter: http://twitter.com/christylemire.
- Canada man finds an Elizabeth Gallagher for...
- Final goodbye: Roll call of some who died in...
- Final goodbye: A roll call of some who died...
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Abused children die as officials across the...
- 82-year-old caught in Sydney hostage...
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer health...
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children killed...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 32
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 31
- Police: 3 dead, including gunman, in... 18
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school... 12
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8