LOS ANGELES — Henry Thomas was just 10 years old when the role of Elliott in "E.T. — the Extra-Terrestrial" made him a star. With the Steven Spielberg classic finally out this week on a 30th-anniversary Blu-ray, Thomas — now a 41-year-old father of three — was nice enough to take the time to choose his five favorite family films. Here he is, in his own words:
— "The Wizard of Oz" (1939): A great film any way you slice it! The songs are great for kids and the characters really capture the imagination of young and old alike. An excellent performance by everyone, but especially Toto (my favorite).
— "The Terror of Tiny Town" (1938): A classic Western acted entirely by small performers and Shetland ponies. This is one of my favorites.
— "Matilda" (1996): My daughters love this film (a Roald Dahl story directed by Danny DeVito) and we watch it at least once a week.
— "Mary Poppins" (1964): Despite some very bad British accenting, Dick Van Dyke still can't fail next to Julie Andrews and some wonderful supporting actors in this classic.
— "The Incredibles" (2004): A great film that I like to watch probably more than my kids.
Oh, was that five? Don't forget "E.T."!
What are your favorite family films? Tell AP Movie Critic Christy Lemire through Twitter: http://twitter.com/christylemire.
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal, 'has...
- The top 10 highest-paid female CEOs
- The 50 hardest-working cities in America,...
- South Africa shaken by FIFA corruption probe
- Officials say those Boston snow piles are...
- Feds release sage grouse conservation plans...
- Latest on flooding: Body of missing Texas...
- Neverland, former home of Michael Jackson, on...
- Elder L. Tom Perry's cancer terminal,... 36
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after... 14
- 'Such a stress reliever': In Rhode... 13
- US to 'fine tune' Iraq strategy in... 12
- Administration asks skeptical judge to... 9
- Census: Number of Americans on public... 9
- Obama urges Senate to renew... 7
- $150M in bribes, dozen schemes: US... 7