SALT LAKE CITY— Duty calls.
At least that is how RSL captain Kyle Beckerman is taking in the recent call-up to join the USMNT.
Beckerman has appeared 23 times since Jurgen Klinsmann took over as the U.S. head coach, and has enjoyed playing at both levels of competition.
"It's neat to see both sides," said the RSL captain. "Playing with the national team — you get on the level that is the world stage, which is really neat. To play against some of those players out there — it really is just fun to be a part of."
Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis praised his midfielder.
"I think that confident players can have an effect on all the players around them. People that are leaders, both in what they say and what they do, in the training session can have an effect on everyone around them," said Kreis. "Kyle is one of those type of guys."
Kreis said that an individual can send positive vibes throughout the team.
"I'm not necessarily convinced that it's just because he went on international duty, cause I think he brings it every single day. But I do think that one player can have an effect on multiple players, for sure," said Kreis.
With the World Cup Qualifying matches set to end on October 16th, one day before Real faces Seattle, it would be unwise to suggest that RSL will be at full strength with the absence of several key players. If things were able to come together, the combination of returning starters could possibly make for a great showdown at Century Link Field.
"All the guys that come back from international duty are a little bit sharper — quicker thought process mostly," said Beckerman. "It definitely is contagious with the rest of the team, and it usually helps us get a little sharper."
The Claret-and-Cobalt has a week to prepare for Seattle, and coach Kreis noted that staying focused will get the result.
"Everything has got to be focused on putting out our best possible performance, and our best possible effort and our best possible commitment," said Kreis. "We do that, and we don't typically have to worry about much else."
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA:...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 65
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23