OAKLAND, Calif. — Seth Smith, Coco Crisp and the never-say-die Oakland Athletics forced a Game 5 of their AL division series against the Detroit Tigers with their most memorable comeback yet.
Smith hit a game-tying two-run double off closer Jose Valverde in the ninth inning and Coco Crisp capped Oakland's most dramatic comeback yet with a two-out RBI single as the A's staved off elimination for a second straight night with a 4-3 victory in Game 4 Wednesday night.
The A's rode 14 walkoff wins in the regular season to an improbable AL West title. Those paled in comparison to No. 15, which set up a win-or-go-home Game 5 against Justin Verlander and the Tigers.
Josh Reddick started the rally with a single just under the glove of diving second baseman Omar Infante. Josh Donaldson followed with a double off the wall in left-center and both runners scored on Smith's double. Two outs later, Crisp lined a single and Smith scored easily when right fielder Avisail Garcia couldn't handle the ball.
That set off a raucous celebration near first base as the A's poured out of the dugout to mob Crisp.
Detroit - Oakland
AL Division Series (best of 5)
Series tied, 2-2
Game 1: Tigers 3, A's 1
Game 2: Tigers 5, A's 4
Game 3: A's 2, Tigers 0
Game 4: A's 4, Tigers 3
Game 5: Today at Oakland, 7:30 p.m.
- Amy Donaldson: LDS boxer B.J. Flores hopes...
- High school boys track: Davis wins another 5A...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood...
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same...
- High school girls track: Davis wins...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state tournament...
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 76
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 67
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 67
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 65
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 50
- Utah Utes football: Dr. Chris Hill... 37
- High school football: Riley Nelson... 29
- Brad Rock: USU athletics can go home again 20