High school football: Hurricane hosting fundraiser for Scott
HURRICANE — With the news of former Hurricane football and wrestling star Brian Scott's leukemia diagnosis several local businesses have organized "Burgers for Brian."
Beginning at 5 p.m. tonight at Hurricane High School and leading up to Tigers' game against Desert Hills at 7 p.m., Hurricane Health and Rehab, Alpine Home Medical, Rocky Mountain Home Care and Hospice and Findlay Hyundai will cook burgers and hot dogs as a fundraising tailgate for the Scott family.
"We have employees that are from Hurricane and they're all big Hurricane football fans," said Travis Hoopes, the director of operations for Rocky Mountain Home Care and Hospice. "A lot of our employees have connections out there and so we just wanted to give back to them and help them out."
Organizers will be selling hamburgers, hot dogs, chips and drinks on the west side of the football field. Items will not have a set price as customers are encouraged to contribute what they can.
All proceeds will be donated to the Scott family.
"We talked about it and we thought if people can donate — great," Hoopes said. "We didn't want to turn anyone away; just donate what you can."
Scott, the 2011 3A football Deseret News MVP and three-time wrestling champion in the 220-pound division, is receiving treatment for a form of curable leukemia at the Huntsman Caner Institute.
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior season
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars past...
- Felt's Facts, championship edition: Breaking...
- Dick Harmon: Hard-hitting safety Craig Bills...
- Return to Utah allows Southern Virginia...
- Former BYU star Russell Larson enjoys...
- Dick Harmon: Outwardly lobbying Big 12... 134
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 85
- Dick Harmon: Every player on BYU's... 71
- Runnin' Utes lose defensive battle at... 68
- Utah Utes football: No. 23 Utes defeat... 52
- BYU to welcome FCS team Savannah State... 39
- Utes still have outside chance at... 26
- BYU gets bowl-eligible with 42-23 win... 25