Bill Kostroun, Associated Press
NEW YORK — Told he was batting second in the ninth inning, Raul Ibanez turned to Yankees teammate Eduardo Nunez.
"I asked who was hitting, and it was Alex, so I assumed something was going on," Ibanez said. "I didn't know what was happening, and then I just tried to put it behind me and get a good pitch to hit."
Turned out to be one of the nights of his life.
Ibanez became the first player in major league history to homer twice in a postseason game he didn't start, hitting a tying drive in the ninth inning and a winning shot in the 12th to give New York a 3-2 victory over the Baltimore Orioles on Wednesday and a 2-1 lead in their best-of-five AL division series.
Quite a month for the bald, well-spoken 40-year-old, who left the division-clinching celebration early last week when his wife gave birth to son Luca.
"I'm a very blessed man. I have a healthy baby boy and my wife is healthy, my children are healthy," Ibanez said. "And then getting an opportunity to play for this great team, great franchise, and being in that situation and having it work out that way is a great blessing."
When spring training started last February, Ibanez still was searching for a team. He signed for $1.1 million and wound up earning another $2.05 million for reaching 425 plate appearances. He hit .240 with 19 homers and 62 RBIs, but the numbers alone don't tell the story.
Including the playoffs, Ibanez has four home runs that tied the score for the Yankees and eight that put New York ahead.
"I just had a gut feeling," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 189
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 90
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50