As the blockade went into effect, Soviet ships approached, along with submarines, leading to tense moments. Kennedy ordered small "depth charges" to be fired from U.S. ships to encourage the submarines to surface. What he didn't know was they were carrying nuclear-tipped tactical missiles and came close to using them.
"One of the things that struck me ... was the extent to which the president of the United States didn't really know and didn't fully control what was happening on the ground," said Dobbs, who has written a book on the crisis. "He didn't know that the Soviet Union had 42,000 troops on Cuba, ready to resist an American invasion."
On Thursday, the National Archives and Kennedy Library will release more than 2,700 pages of material from the Robert F. Kennedy papers that are newly declassified, including documents related to the Cuban Missile Crisis. Library Director Tom Putnam said they include the attorney general's notes from national security meetings during the crisis and drafts of a memo he sent to the president after meeting with the Soviet ambassador.
The exhibit is on view in Washington until February and then moves to Boston's Kennedy Presidential Library in April.
Follow Brett Zongker on Twitter at https://twitter.com/DCArtBeat
National Archives: http://www.archives.gov/
Kennedy library: http://www.jfklibrary.org/
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Utah Jazz: Comparisons inevitable between...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 188
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 88
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50