"We're not saying he's changed his mind on these issues," Cutter said. "We're saying he's trying to cover up his beliefs."
Cutter said the campaign would seek to make sure that women are "not fooled" by Romney's attempts to soften his positions on abortion. The Democrat's campaign has aired TV ads accusing Romney of supporting overturning Roe vs. Wade and eliminating federal funding for Planned Parenthood.
"Women frankly just can't trust Mitt Romney," Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards said on the Obama campaign call. Richards said she was taking a break from her role at the women's health services provider to volunteer for Obama in the campaign's closing weeks.
Romney did not seek to clarify his abortion comments during a day of campaigning Wednesday in Ohio. He noted at a town hall-style meeting that his wife, Ann, and Karen Buchwald Wright, the businesswoman who helped introduce him, were breast cancer survivors.
"Karen was kind to remind me that this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and gave me this pin, which I am wearing this morning in her honor and the honor of my wife and in honor of all the women across America who have battled this terrible disease and know of our commitment to defeat it and to provide long lives to our fellow citizens," Romney said.
Romney called the women "champions."
Associated Press writers Julie Pace and Nancy Benac in Washington contributed to this report.
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Research: Native American genes have Eurasian...
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh light on...
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 88
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 47
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 24
- Obama declares health care law is... 20
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy 18
- Research: Native American genes have... 18