Our take: Out of Mitt Romney's five sons, his eldest son Tagg has emerged as the one with greater influence and sway, blending the political team, the family and the finance team all together in "Romney World," Robert Costa of National Review reports.
"For much of his life, Tagg, age 42, has been his father's biggest supporter, as well as his most candid critic. At age 12, he went from idolizing his father to deciding, 'in a fit of adolescent rebellion, that his father was a nerd,' Tagg recently recalled, according to the New York Times. 'I think it broke his heart because he had been my hero, and all of a sudden, I didn't want anything to do with him,' Tagg said. Ever since, he and his father have had a close bond, but Tagg has never shied away from voicing his opinion.
"Whether it's backstage at the debates or during Sunday-evening phone calls, Tagg is in constant contact with the Republican nominee. On paper, he doesn't have a title beyond 'surrogate,' but outside of Ann Romney, there is no one in the family who has greater influence and sway.
"As Ann Romney told me last week, Tagg may be getting headlines as an inside player, but inside of the family and the campaign, little has changed. 'Tagg may have gotten a little more publicity, maybe,' she said, but Romneys family has a long history of advocacy. He's speaking up, to be sure, but for Tagg, at least, that's hardly news."
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- 'The Lion King' earns record box office
- Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in White House...
- Why a parent going to prison can be worse...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- Apple sells more than 10 million iPhones in...
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 9
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 8
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 7
- It's not just young people —... 7