Our take: Out of Mitt Romney's five sons, his eldest son Tagg has emerged as the one with greater influence and sway, blending the political team, the family and the finance team all together in "Romney World," Robert Costa of National Review reports.
"For much of his life, Tagg, age 42, has been his father's biggest supporter, as well as his most candid critic. At age 12, he went from idolizing his father to deciding, 'in a fit of adolescent rebellion, that his father was a nerd,' Tagg recently recalled, according to the New York Times. 'I think it broke his heart because he had been my hero, and all of a sudden, I didn't want anything to do with him,' Tagg said. Ever since, he and his father have had a close bond, but Tagg has never shied away from voicing his opinion.
"Whether it's backstage at the debates or during Sunday-evening phone calls, Tagg is in constant contact with the Republican nominee. On paper, he doesn't have a title beyond 'surrogate,' but outside of Ann Romney, there is no one in the family who has greater influence and sway.
"As Ann Romney told me last week, Tagg may be getting headlines as an inside player, but inside of the family and the campaign, little has changed. 'Tagg may have gotten a little more publicity, maybe,' she said, but Romneys family has a long history of advocacy. He's speaking up, to be sure, but for Tagg, at least, that's hardly news."
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters in...
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in shooting
- Ferguson businesses torched in overnight...
- In New Zealand, feud over fate of 1902 corpse...
- Why Salt Lake City is one of the best cities...
- At least 17 killed in Egypt by building collapse
- Latinos are 'very optimistic' about America's...
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as Pentagon...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 66
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 61
- Grand jury won't indict Ferguson cop in... 30
- Obama: Americans want 'new car smell'... 29
- Fact check: Obama's claims on illegal... 18
- Winners and losers under Obama's... 18
- Under pressure, Hagel steps down as... 15
- Boehner: 'We will not stand idle' on... 14