BYU football: BYU-Oregon State means family reunion for twin brothers Uani and Feti 'Unga
Feti 'Unga sustained a sprained left knee on the first play against BYU and missed the next three games. At the time, he was among the Pac-12's leading tacklers. BYU beat OSU, 38-28.
Games between the Cougars and Beavers always seem to turn into family reunions. In 2009, BYU and OSU met in the Las Vegas Bowl, and the Beavers' 'Unga twins faced their second cousin, Cougar running back Harvey Unga. As it turned out, it was Harvey Unga's final game in a BYU uniform, and the Cougars won, 44-20. Harvey is the all-time leading rusher in school history.
Last Friday, Uani 'Unga had his chance to shine, helping BYU preserve a 6-3 win over Utah State. On the Aggies' final drive, he recorded a 9-yard sack of quarterback Chuckie Keeton. USU ended up punting and never got the ball back.
"It kind of felt like déja vu. We kind of did the same play in practice," 'Unga said of the sack. "There was a big hole. In practice it looked exactly the same. It felt pretty good."
Of course, Saturday's BYU-OSU showdown will be a family affair for the 'Ungas.
This season, Feti 'Unga wears "Taumoepeau" on the back of his jersey as a tribute to the Ungas' mother, Ofa, whose maiden name is Taumoepeau. Feti and Uani have seven siblings.
"If it wasn't for my mom ... pushing us, waking us every morning for games on Saturdays and after school, getting us ready to go to practice and stuff," Feti Unga told The Oregonian. "She's been there throughout the whole journey, so one year out of all these years I've been playing, I'll use my mom's name."
Meanwhile, more than two dozen family members are expected to attend Saturday's game in Provo, sporting their own BYU-OSU shirts — in support of both Uani and Feti 'Unga.
Cougars on the air
No. 10 Oregon State (4-0) at BYU (4-2)
Saturday, 1:30 p.m. MT
LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo
TV: ABC Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- Items owned by gangster 'Whitey' Bulger to be...
- World doping watchdog shuts down Rio Olympic...
- AP source: Irving, Barnes finish US Olympic...
- Federer out to turn around frustrating season...
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- National champion Sam Mikulak leads US men's...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 167
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 79
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 66
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 58
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 43
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 42
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 27
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24