Joseph Smith's division of the 1834 Camp of Israel, later referred to as Zion's Camp, passed through Greencastle, Ind., on May 23, 1834. It was about this time that they had noticed a change of geography from flat plains to rolling hills with marshy bottoms.
The group camped some four miles from the town of Greencastle, probably on Big Walnut Creek, above.
The extant log home, right, was standing and in use in Greencastle at the time the Prophet and members of his group marched through that little town.
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of prophets
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 45
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 8
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in... 4
- Over half a million people attended... 4
- 10 religious leaders you may not know... 4