FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Wes Welker told reporters he was only joking when he said after Sunday's game that he enjoyed catching 13 passes against the Denver Broncos to "stick it" in coach Bill Belichick's face.
Welker made a rare Monday appearance in the locker room during media availability to straighten things out.
"It was a joke," Welker said. "I don't know what else to say about it."
Welker did not start in three games so far this season after unsuccessful negotiations on a long-term deal, leading to speculation that Belichick was upset with him over the negotiations.
After catching 13 passes for 104 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's 31-21 victory over the Broncos, he told Comcast SportsNet with a wink, "Yeah it's kind of nice to stick it in Bill's face once in a while."
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- 2015 BYU Commits
- 2015 Utah Football Commits
- Dick Harmon: College football recruiters are...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Best in class: Breaking down the recruiting...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 79
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 40
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35