FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Wes Welker told reporters he was only joking when he said after Sunday's game that he enjoyed catching 13 passes against the Denver Broncos to "stick it" in coach Bill Belichick's face.
Welker made a rare Monday appearance in the locker room during media availability to straighten things out.
"It was a joke," Welker said. "I don't know what else to say about it."
Welker did not start in three games so far this season after unsuccessful negotiations on a long-term deal, leading to speculation that Belichick was upset with him over the negotiations.
After catching 13 passes for 104 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's 31-21 victory over the Broncos, he told Comcast SportsNet with a wink, "Yeah it's kind of nice to stick it in Bill's face once in a while."
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16