FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Wes Welker told reporters he was only joking when he said after Sunday's game that he enjoyed catching 13 passes against the Denver Broncos to "stick it" in coach Bill Belichick's face.
Welker made a rare Monday appearance in the locker room during media availability to straighten things out.
"It was a joke," Welker said. "I don't know what else to say about it."
Welker did not start in three games so far this season after unsuccessful negotiations on a long-term deal, leading to speculation that Belichick was upset with him over the negotiations.
After catching 13 passes for 104 yards and a touchdown in Sunday's 31-21 victory over the Broncos, he told Comcast SportsNet with a wink, "Yeah it's kind of nice to stick it in Bill's face once in a while."
- Newcomers enjoy BYU hoops debut in Cougar Tipoff
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the...
- Live streams: 2A & 3A volleyball championship...
- High school football: Improbable final play...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Utah Jazz fall to Rockets on opening night
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 78
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 58
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 54
- High school football: State tournament... 50
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 30