LACEY HANCOCK, Pine View, tennis: Hancock earned her second consecutive tennis state championship on Saturday. She rolled through the first singles division of the 3A state tournament, losing just three games in two days of competition.
Just a sophomore, Hancock has played tennis since she was three years old but said she didn't get serious about it until age 11. She is a 4.0 student and would like to play tennis in college.
KYLE JOHNSON, Sky View, football: At just 5-foot-8 and 175 pounds, Johnson is leading the state in tackles.
The Sky View senior has totaled 109 tackles in eight games this season, averaging 13.6 tackles an outing. He has also recorded an interception, caused two fumbles and recovered one, had 0.5 sacks and four hurries.
Johnson had a career-high 20 tackles in a Sept. 14 loss to Mountain Crest, and had eight tackles on Friday to help the Bobcats in their come-from-behind victory over Roy.
- Mountain West Elite camp leads the football...
- High school track: Top performances from 2016
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state tournament...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 37
- High school soccer: Stout defenses give Juan...
- High school baseball: Titans ride timely...
- High school soccer: No shortage of parity as...
- High school baseball: Lone Peak wins game...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes... 1
- Mountain West Elite camp leads the... 0
- High school track: Top performances... 0
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state... 0
- High school soccer: Stout defenses give... 0
- High school baseball: Titans ride... 0
- High school soccer: No shortage of... 0
- High school baseball: Lone Peak wins... 0