The nutritional deficiency diseases that plagued us in the past — beriberi, pellagra, rickets, scurvy, goiter and cretinism — have been brought to a low incidence by medicating populations rather than individuals by enrichment of flour with vitamins and by adding iodine to salt.
We have a new plague to contend with, obesity. Its effects are quite tolerable when you are young, but it tends to force retirement at an earlier age and dishearten, incapacitate, immobilize and generate misery in your old age — all at cost to you, your family, the community and the nation. We could fight it with law limiting the sugar content of candy, soft drinks and sweet foods.
- From GOP convention to Pokemon Bernie: Last...
- In our opinion: Disgusting algae bloom...
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake
- My view: Prison reform proponents have it...
- Arthur Cyr: Coup attempt underscores...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 31
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 27
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 24
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- My view: More whites should practice... 22
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 17