The nutritional deficiency diseases that plagued us in the past — beriberi, pellagra, rickets, scurvy, goiter and cretinism — have been brought to a low incidence by medicating populations rather than individuals by enrichment of flour with vitamins and by adding iodine to salt.
We have a new plague to contend with, obesity. Its effects are quite tolerable when you are young, but it tends to force retirement at an earlier age and dishearten, incapacitate, immobilize and generate misery in your old age — all at cost to you, your family, the community and the nation. We could fight it with law limiting the sugar content of candy, soft drinks and sweet foods.
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- Charles Krauthammer: The nation expects...
- My view: The best legislation meets all sides
- A. Scott Anderson: Give students skills that...
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges...
- My view: Deeper look at Utah’s...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- Letter: Give her time
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 152
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 75
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 43
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges... 36
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 30
- My view: The best legislation meets all... 30
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 29
- Letter: Legal weapons on campus 29