The nutritional deficiency diseases that plagued us in the past — beriberi, pellagra, rickets, scurvy, goiter and cretinism — have been brought to a low incidence by medicating populations rather than individuals by enrichment of flour with vitamins and by adding iodine to salt.
We have a new plague to contend with, obesity. Its effects are quite tolerable when you are young, but it tends to force retirement at an earlier age and dishearten, incapacitate, immobilize and generate misery in your old age — all at cost to you, your family, the community and the nation. We could fight it with law limiting the sugar content of candy, soft drinks and sweet foods.
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA fool you...
- In our opinion: After change to state pension...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- Letter: Methane benefits
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 71
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 62
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 45
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 38
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 22