"We feel confident that it will pay off by building awareness of our brands and company" as well as the overall bourbon category, said Heaven Hill spokesman Larry Kass.
Four Roses Distillery, also near Lawrenceburg, recently opened a new visitors center to promote the 124-year-old brand made at its Spanish Mission-style distillery. The new center and gift shop were part of a $2.4 million expansion.
The Woodford Reserve Distillery near Versailles plans renovations to its visitors center next year and has hired more tour guides.
Visitors to the popular Maker's Mark Distillery near Loretto can dip their own bottles in the distinctive red wax topping every bottle of the premium bourbon.
Alltech's Lexington Brewing & Distilling Co. recently started making its Town Branch bourbon at a new $9.2 million distillery in the heart of Kentucky's second-largest city. The distillery includes a visitors center.
The distilleries are within easy driving distance of thoroughbred farms, another signature Kentucky industry. Some people combine bourbon tours with visits to farms or to Churchill Downs in Louisville or Keeneland at Lexington when there's live racing at the tracks.
Sometimes visitors get to meet the master distillers — the men responsible for making the bourbon — if they're not on the road promoting the brands.
"One of the best parts of my job is sharing my love for bourbon," Russell said.
At the Jim Beam's distillery at Clermont, visitors might see Noe taking a break, sitting on a rocking chair outside his office just up a ridge from the visitors center. Like his counterparts at other distilleries, he relishes the chance to talk about whiskey making.
"I really am a live, breathing person, and not some marketing tool that somebody just made up," Noe said.
If You Go...
THE JIM BEAM AMERICAN STILLHOUSE: 526 Happy Hollow Rd., Clermont, Ky.; http://www.americanstillhouse.com or 502-543-9877. Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m.; Sunday, noon-4:30 p.m. Closed Sundays in January and February and major holidays. Guided tours, $8. Self-guided tours, free.
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's...
- Appreciating sacrifice: Deployed soldiers...
- Official: Air Algerie flight carrying 116...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza border
- Iraqis: Jihadis blow up Muslim shrine said to...
- Rep. Paul Ryan proposes streamlining 11...
- Pope meets Sudanese Christian woman who was...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Appeals courts issue contradictory... 49
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 24
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza... 23
- Obama fundraises for Dems; demands GOP... 19
- Despite crush of children, illegal... 16
- Obama voices concern about casualties... 14