Deseret News archives
I am embarrassed for Rep. Jim Matheson when he attacks Mia Love in his ads by claiming that she is going to "gamble" with our Social Security dollars by investing in the stock market. Either he doesn't understand how the free market economy works, or he is so desperate to get re-elected that he is willing to say anything in an attempt to confuse the electorate.
The real gamble occurs when we let the government manage our retirement funds. The Congress without our consent has been stealing money from the Social Security fund for years.
Stocks are the evidence of ownership in American and foreign companies, and almost every retirement fund in America both public and private is invested in the market. If it were such a bad deal, then everyone would bail out and there would be no stock market. The market goes up, and the market goes down, but I'll take the market any day over the government managing my retirement.
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running shoe...
- In our opinion: A darkening cloud is hanging...
- My view: People deserve rights at our borders
- Richard Davis: Airlines should do more for...
- Letters: Federal encroachment
- Snapshot of 2013 in political cartoons
- Timothy R. Clark: Graduation advice for my...
- Michael Gerson: Reinvigorating the GOP will...
- Letters: Stop the witch hunt 35
- John Florez: Show leadership on... 31
- Supreme Court, Congress, citizens: The... 27
- Letter: Media failure 25
- Letters: Threats justified 24
- Robert Bennett: Sticking to facts is... 23
- Doug Robinson: Utah man's new running... 19
- In our opinion: Limit the power of the... 18