Pool, AP Photo/Thomas Niedermueller
FRANKFURT, Germany — Defending Bundesliga champion Borussia Dortmund lost more ground to Bayern Munich when it conceded a late goal and had to settle for a 1-1 draw at Hannover on Sunday.
Mame Biram Diouf scored in the 86th minute to earn the draw for Hannover, leaving Dortmund trailing Bayern by nine points.
Eintracht Frankfurt had its first loss of the season, losing 2-0 at Borussia Moenchengladbach, while Stuttgart and Bayer Leverkusen drew 2-2 in the day's third match.
Diouf failed to find the empty net less than 10 minutes earlier in the game, but reacted swiftly when given another chance. A deflected free kick was picked up by Didier Ya Konan, who attempted an overhead kick. It misfired but landed kindly for Diouf, who netted from close range.
Dortmund dominated the first half and went ahead in the 26th through Robert Lewandowski, who poked home a low cross from Lukasz Piszczek.
Piszczek hit the post in the 53rd but Hannover began to press harder in the second half and earned the point.
Bayern won its seventh straight in beating Hoffenheim 2-0 on Saturday. Dortmund remained fourth.
"Hannover put us under a lot of pressure in the second half," said Dortmund's forward Marco Reus, who had claims for a penalty denied in injury time.
In Moenchengladbach, Juan Arango opened the scoring with a spectacular goal in the eighth minute and Luuk de Jong doubled the lead in the 24th.
Eintracht dominated the match but fell behind when Olivier Occean lost the ball in his half and Arango took a few steps before unleashing a fierce left-foot shot from more than 30 meters (yards). The ball seemed to be going high before dipping suddenly and striking the underside of the crossbar.
De Jong picked up a long pass, raced past Carlos Zambrano and slotted home inside the far post for the second goal.
Eintracht remains second in the standings, five points behind Bayern Munich.
In Stuttgart, Stefan Kiessling scored both goals for Leverkusen, while Vedad Ibisevic also had two for Stuttgart, one from a penalty.
Stuttgart is still winless at home.
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 64
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16