Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
PROVO BYU freshman quarterback Taysom Hill suffered a knee injury late in Friday's 6-3 victory over Utah State.
That much school officials confirmed Saturday.
Meanwhile, there are reports circulating that Hill's injury is season-ending.
According to BYU football media relations director Brett Pyne, "The extent of the injury and related status is currently being evaluated. Any updates will be provided Monday."
The injury apparently happened with a little more than one minute remaining in the game. The Cougars, nursing a three-point lead, had the ball and were attempting to run out the clock. Hill took the snap and run up the middle and absorbed a hard hit to his knee.
On the night, Hill had 19 carries. After the game, Hill spoke to the media and said he didn't have a problem with running the ball that many times.
BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall said late Friday night that senior quarterback Riley Nelson, who has been battling a back injury and has been sidelined the past two weeks, would start next Saturday against Oregon State if he is healthy.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 89
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 74
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 38
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34