There are exhibits at the visitor center about the UFW and Chavez's office has been carefully preserved. Visitors can also pay respects at Chavez's grave site in the memorial garden and see the house where the farmworker leader lived with his family — his widow Helen Chavez still lives there. Those three sites will be part of the Cesar E. Chavez National Monument.
A conference and education center opened two years ago on the property in a converted historic building. It rents out halls, a theater, and a full service lounge for weddings, conferences and retreats.
The hope, Paul Chavez said, is that the center can go back to doing what Cesar Chavez once did: training regular people such as farmworkers, community leaders and activists in how to make change.
"If they can come here and we can give them some tools, and they can go back to their communities to use them, then I think my dad's legacy has been served," he said.
The national monument, which will be managed by the National Park Service, will bring more visitors to learn about the farmworker movement, Paul Chavez said.
The designation also will help diversify the offerings of the National Park System, said Tom Kiernan, president of the National Parks Conservation Association, an independent nonprofit that pushed to make the Chavez property the 398th site in the system.
"The whole purpose of the National Park System is to speak of what it means to be American and tell the stories of Americans," he said. "The Latino culture and stories are not adequately told and interpreted throughout the park system, and this designation helps fill that void."
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- 'The Lion King' earns record box office
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- Why a parent going to prison can be worse...
- Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in White House...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 21
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 8
- It's not just young people —... 7
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 5