BYU basketball: Cougars are on Jabari Parker's short list
Prep basketball superstar Jabari Parker reportedly has narrowed down his list of potential college destinations to five — and BYU is on that list.
Reggie Rankin, a scout and analyst for ESPN Recruiting, tweeted Friday afternoon: "Just spoke with ESPN #1 player Jabari Parker. List cut to 5. No order Stanford, BYU, Duke, Mich St, Florida."
Parker, who is a member of the LDS Church, is widely considered to be one of the top high school players in the country. Last spring, Parker graced the cover of Sports Illustrated, which proclaimed him "the best high school basketball player since LeBron James."
Parker's high school coach, Robert Smith, insists that BYU's inclusion on Parker's short list is not just a token gesture.
"All five schools are schools he's really interested in and really thinking about attending," Smith told ESPN's Scott Powers. "He's really thinking about BYU. I know his faith has a lot to do with it. The coaching staff has been great with him. They've got a winning program. That's one of his choices."
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- Utes come up short in Pac-12 battle with Arizona
- Layton steps up big late to secure a 48-46...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- BYU shocks No. 3 Gonzaga 73-70 36
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 25