BYU basketball: Cougars are on Jabari Parker's short list
Prep basketball superstar Jabari Parker reportedly has narrowed down his list of potential college destinations to five — and BYU is on that list.
Reggie Rankin, a scout and analyst for ESPN Recruiting, tweeted Friday afternoon: "Just spoke with ESPN #1 player Jabari Parker. List cut to 5. No order Stanford, BYU, Duke, Mich St, Florida."
Parker, who is a member of the LDS Church, is widely considered to be one of the top high school players in the country. Last spring, Parker graced the cover of Sports Illustrated, which proclaimed him "the best high school basketball player since LeBron James."
Parker's high school coach, Robert Smith, insists that BYU's inclusion on Parker's short list is not just a token gesture.
"All five schools are schools he's really interested in and really thinking about attending," Smith told ESPN's Scott Powers. "He's really thinking about BYU. I know his faith has a lot to do with it. The coaching staff has been great with him. They've got a winning program. That's one of his choices."
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Jazz empathetic for fired Kings coach, happy...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with Wagner...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 36
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 29
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25