BYU basketball: Cougars are on Jabari Parker's short list
Prep basketball superstar Jabari Parker reportedly has narrowed down his list of potential college destinations to five — and BYU is on that list.
Reggie Rankin, a scout and analyst for ESPN Recruiting, tweeted Friday afternoon: "Just spoke with ESPN #1 player Jabari Parker. List cut to 5. No order Stanford, BYU, Duke, Mich St, Florida."
Parker, who is a member of the LDS Church, is widely considered to be one of the top high school players in the country. Last spring, Parker graced the cover of Sports Illustrated, which proclaimed him "the best high school basketball player since LeBron James."
Parker's high school coach, Robert Smith, insists that BYU's inclusion on Parker's short list is not just a token gesture.
"All five schools are schools he's really interested in and really thinking about attending," Smith told ESPN's Scott Powers. "He's really thinking about BYU. I know his faith has a lot to do with it. The coaching staff has been great with him. They've got a winning program. That's one of his choices."
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 47
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28