President Thomas S. Monson's announcement that men will now be able to serve LDS missions at 18 and women at 19 caused many members to share their thoughts on Twitter. Many wrote about their emotions on the lowered mission age and how it affects women, BYU and LDS culture. Here are just a few of the hundreds of tweets that went out:
The spirit in the conference center when the missionary age change was amazing. What a blessing to so many. #LDSConf— Erica Teichert (@eteichert) October 6, 2012
#ldsconf I love the reactions from the audience about age changes for missionaries. The guys: "what?" and the girls were like "yes!"— Chantel Ruby (@chantelruby) October 6, 2012
WOW! Women can serve a mish at 19 now & men can serve at 18. Maybe ill be going on the mish earlier than I thought. Huge changes! #ldsconf— Whitney Wright (@whitnmier) October 6, 2012
I'm really touched by this news. would have made a huge difference to my life. #ldsconf thinking about all the girls I teach. Game change.— joanna brooks (@askmormongirl) October 6, 2012
My daughters look different to me. And it's still hard to talk. Amazed by the depth of my own reaction.— joanna brooks (@askmormongirl) October 6, 2012
@askmormongirl my daughter just turned to me "Now I have less time to save for the mission." Two months ago she had no thought of serving.— Dennis Thompson (@NWACougar) October 6, 2012
Missionary service at 18 for males and 19 for females is inspired. I know that it was wrestled with before The Lord for a while #ldsconf— Jake Black (@jakeboyslim) October 6, 2012
Still blown away by the guys at 18, girls at 19 Mission shift.So awesome!"I'll go where you want me to go."#ldsconf— Chet Cannon (@Chet_Cannon) October 6, 2012
In one swift motion, the "Pre-mi" has officially been extracted from BYU culture. #ldsconf— Jared Gay (@jaredclarkgay) October 6, 2012
I guess Jabari Parker just had a 6th option added to his top 5 #ldsconf LDS young men can now serve at 18— Jeffrey Finley (@FinleyJY) October 6, 2012
- 24 inspiring quotes from President Boyd K....
- BYU conference explores what's next for...
- After Supreme Court marriage decision,...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Elder Ballard, other LDS Church leaders...
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 40
- After Supreme Court marriage decision,... 39
- BYU conference explores what's next for... 35
- Elder Ballard, other LDS Church leaders... 23
- Ten Commandments decision prompts... 19
- Utah senators seeking support for... 17
- Not everyone has given up on God 10
- LDS missionaries in some countries no... 8