As the Cardinals celebrated another playoff triumph in the clubhouse, someone screamed, "Infield fly!"
"I understand that the Braves are upset by what happened," manager Mike Matheny said. But, he added, "The umpires were out there. It was the right call."
Besides, the umpires had nothing to do with Atlanta's three throwing errors, which allowed the Cardinals to score four unearned runs. Without the defensive miscues by the NL's top fielding team, that call in the eighth would have been an afterthought, not one that nearly caused a riot.
"Ultimately, when we look back on this loss, we need to look at ourselves in the mirror," said Jones, whose errant throw in the fourth led to three runs for the Cardinals. "Three errors cost us the ballgame, mine probably being the biggest. Did (the infield fly rule) cost us one out? Did it cost us one run, possibly more? Yes. But I'm not willing to sit here and say that call cost us the ballgame."
On Twitter, outfielder Jason Heyward said: "When you don't have anything positive to say it's best to not speak," then thanked Braves fans for their support this season.
Braves starting pitcher Kris Medlen tweeted: "Can't point fingers at anyone but ourselves. Didn't bring our A game as a team and the cards capitalized."
The play will certainly lead to a clamor for expanded use of instant replay to deal with an epidemic of disputed postseason calls in recent years — especially with the new one-and-done format.
If nothing else, there were plenty of comparisons to the NFL's much-maligned replacement refs.
"This was an exciting game," Torre said. "I'm sorry about the controversy. It's certainly not something we ever plan on."
Follow Paul Newberry on Twitter at www.twitter.com/pnewberry1963
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU past...
- Jimmer & Jimbo: As one pursues a steady role,...
- Lone Peak guard Frank Jackson drops...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Stewart has brought back an identity —...
- Penn State defeats Stanford, will meet BYU...
- BYU focusing on bowl game while players'...
- High school basketball: Thursday's roundup
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 68
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 59
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 44
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 39
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 32
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 31