I suspect that there are many in Utah like our family who will be voting for both Mitt Romney and Jim Matheson. A recent FM3 poll showed both with high favorably ratings in Salt Lake County, though each come from different political parties. So why keep Matheson in office, despite intense Republican Party grandiloquence this time to finally oust him?
Perhaps we Independents and enough moderate, smart-thinking Republicans and Democrats realize that if Romney does win, he will need Matheson and other moderate Democrats since both promise bipartisanship to solve our nation's problems. Romney touts his executive experience in Massachusetts as governor successfully working with the "opposition." President George W. Bush even sent Matheson a letter thanking him for his support during his terms.
And should Barack Obama win, Matheson continues to maneuver middle ground, putting Utah first before either party. That's what made sense when he was elected in 2000 and re-elected since. That's still good for us no matter what the extremes of our political parties advocate.
- In our opinion: Declaration of Independence...
- In our opinion: Supreme Court ruling for...
- My view: Everything you think you know about...
- Letter: Patriotism has not died
- My view: Move the prison for the sake of...
- Letter: The Fourth
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the...
- Letter: Shredded Constitution
- Letter: Shredded Constitution 95
- Letter: Disregarding liberty, laws 51
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Letter: Trump’s chances 35
- Robert J. Samuelson: Are policies... 31
- Richard Davis: Time to fix Obamacare... 29
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 26
- Letter: Patriotism has not died 24