Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: We can't help chiming in on the presidential debate
Matheson must remind voters of his incredible achievements on behalf of Utah. Further, caution must be exercised in attacking a woman whose family story has now become an official state legend. It's a tricky path for Matheson, but he has a record of success in tough situations.
Webb: Romney's resurgence certainly helps Love, who has tied herself closely to Romney and his family. Romney's son Josh was one of Love's earliest and strongest backers. Now that more Utahns believe Romney has a reasonable chance of winning, Love's arguments that he needs her there to help pass his congressional agenda is more compelling. She can more effectively "nationalize" the election by arguing that with Romney in the White House, Republicans must maintain control of the U.S. House and help Romney turn the country around.
Matheson is a fine political leader who has served the state well. But sometimes even good politicians can't withstand a tsunami. This may be the year that the realities of Matheson representing probably the toughest district in the country for a Democrat catch up with him.
That wouldn't necessarily mean the end of Matheson's political career. Times change, and political fortunes rise and fall. Matheson would be in play for future gubernatorial, senatorial and congressional races.
Republican LaVarr Webb is a political consultant and lobbyist. Previously he was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Democrat Frank Pignanelli is a Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. Pignanelli served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as minority leader. His spouse, D'Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a state tax commissioner. Email: email@example.com.
- In our opinion: Disgusting algae bloom...
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake
- My view: Prison reform proponents have it...
- Arthur Cyr: Coup attempt underscores...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation
- Letter: Drones or privacy
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 27
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- My view: More whites should practice... 21
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake 16
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 15
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 14