Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: We can't help chiming in on the presidential debate
Matheson must remind voters of his incredible achievements on behalf of Utah. Further, caution must be exercised in attacking a woman whose family story has now become an official state legend. It's a tricky path for Matheson, but he has a record of success in tough situations.
Webb: Romney's resurgence certainly helps Love, who has tied herself closely to Romney and his family. Romney's son Josh was one of Love's earliest and strongest backers. Now that more Utahns believe Romney has a reasonable chance of winning, Love's arguments that he needs her there to help pass his congressional agenda is more compelling. She can more effectively "nationalize" the election by arguing that with Romney in the White House, Republicans must maintain control of the U.S. House and help Romney turn the country around.
Matheson is a fine political leader who has served the state well. But sometimes even good politicians can't withstand a tsunami. This may be the year that the realities of Matheson representing probably the toughest district in the country for a Democrat catch up with him.
That wouldn't necessarily mean the end of Matheson's political career. Times change, and political fortunes rise and fall. Matheson would be in play for future gubernatorial, senatorial and congressional races.
Republican LaVarr Webb is a political consultant and lobbyist. Previously he was policy deputy to Gov. Mike Leavitt and Deseret News managing editor. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Democrat Frank Pignanelli is a Salt Lake attorney, lobbyist and political adviser. Pignanelli served 10 years in the Utah House of Representatives, six years as minority leader. His spouse, D'Arcy Dixon Pignanelli, is a state tax commissioner. Email: email@example.com.
- A Hobson's choice: Religious freedom in the...
- George F. Will: Squandered potential:...
- In our opinion: On matters of panhandling or...
- Mike Lee: It will be our ideas that win in 2014
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Will Putin's gamble...
- Letter: Putin's invasion
- Doug Robinson: Dinsmore has made his mark on...
- It doesn't have to be hard for... 60
- In our opinion: Obama's immigration... 52
- Obama shows his funny side while... 40
- Letter: Invite the divine 36
- Libertarian wave wins big at CPAC 34
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance... 34
- My view: SB54 will politically and... 30
- Letter: Private political parties 24