AUSTIN, Texas — The Texas Longhorns get their turn to try to stop Geno Smith and West Virginia.
Smith leads the No. 8 Mountaineers (4-0, 1-0) into Austin after passing for 656 yards and eight touchdowns in a wild 70-63 win over Baylor. He leads the nation in pass efficiency with an 83 percent completion rate, 20 touchdowns and no interceptions.
He's also facing a Texas defense struggling to live up to preseason expectations. No. 11 Texas (4-0, 1-0) has made a habit of giving up long touchdowns with poor tackling.
The game will be West Virginia's first on the road in the Big 12 and a win would send a statement the former Big East champs have every intention of winning their new league. Texas is just 2-6 at home in the Big 12 the last two seasons.
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Hodgson leaves job on humiliating night for...
- Lindros' wait over as he headlines Hockey...
- Pat Summitt, winningest coach in D1 history,...
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 66
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 24
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 22