Our take: The news often highlights the hazards associated with the digital age from eroding communication skills to gaming addictions. The American Psychiatric Association even added "Internet Use Disorder" to its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders recently. But, new technologies also provide amazing opportunities. In this article from the L.A. Times, a mother discusses how technology allowed her to communicate with her disabled daughter for the first time.
It occurred to me the other day that it is becoming less and less necessary to speak. Why talk when you can text, tweet or email? Why pick up the telephone when Facebook brings you up to date with every detail of your friends' lives? It feels like the human voice is becoming irrelevant, and I'm thrilled about it. You see, I have a daughter who can't speak.
When Eva, who is now in her late 20s, was 6 months old, we received the official diagnosis of cerebral palsy. It wasn't a surprise. Her birth had become suddenly difficult, then dangerous a rapidly falling heartbeat, a baby in severe distress, an emergency Cesarean. After watching over her anxiously for the three weeks she spent in the hospital's neonatal intensive care unit, we were told to take our daughter home and "see how she develops." We'd know soon enough what damage the lack of oxygen had wrought.
During those early, desperate months, my mind was preoccupied with disastrous scenarios. Would she ever sit up? Yes, it turned out. Would she walk, dress herself, eat by herself? No, none of those things, we realized as she grew.
It took me awhile to realize that I had left off my list of questions the most profound one: Would my beautiful baby ever be able to talk? It was impossible to imagine what kind of life she would have if she couldn't. To me, no speech meant no communication. No communication meant no human connection. No human connection meant a life without joy. But I was wrong.
- 33 things I want my sons to know
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over faith;...
- The Clean Cut: Toddler can't help but run to...
- Big screen 'Maze Runner' is a big dream come...
- Why babies are expensive, but could save you...
- Things that changed my view of marriage forever
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of daughter's...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: If we lose... 45
- Experts debate whether marriage is... 30
- Liberals teach kids tolerance over... 23
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 19
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 9
- Mom battling cancer determined to live... 7
- 'Duck Dynasty' dad approves of... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5