Nearly 2,000 registered to portray rebels or Yankees for the Perryville re-enactments. And there are also plans for book signings, ghost tours and battlefield tours in coming days.
One of the battle re-enactments this weekend will portray Webster's brigade, a first for the annual re-enactment ceremonies, said Kurt Holman, manager of the Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site.
"We've never been able to do that before," Holman said, noting that structures had been in the way before. "But since then, we've acquired the property and restored that back."
Two houses and a barn on the historic site have since been cleared away.
Webster, who traced his great-grandfather's movements during the war through battles in Virginia and present-day West Virginia, said he is looking forward to the 150th at Perryville.
He said he has some of his great-grandfather's personal belongings, including his gold watch, Civil War commission and a photograph of his ancestor in his military uniform.
"He looks like he'd be a pretty formidable officer," he noted.
Among his most prized possessions are the letters his great-grandfather wrote his wife, which amounted to a memoir.
"He had been saying in the early letters that he didn't expect the war to last very long," Webster said. "And in the later letters he said, 'I know this has gone longer than any of us expected. But this is not the time for me to leave. I cannot as a matter of honor do that for the men that I've trained and are here.'"
That devotion to honor and country cost him his life. His great-grandmother never remarried after her husband's death, and late in life she moved to Missouri to live with one of her sons — Webster's grandfather.
- For the first time in American history,...
- Amish country bristles at ‘Mafia’...
- You'll never believe where your bottled water...
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn into...
- Napa earthquake hastens calls for warning system
- Ebola has 'upper hand,' says US official
- Ask Mr. Dad: Handling a child’s...
- A New York Times article said Michael Brown...
- For the first time in American history,... 24
- Obama faces tough options in Iraq and... 23
- Obama administration announces new... 19
- Doug Robinson: When did Missouri turn... 16
- Rev. Al Sharpton plays prominent role... 15
- Huckabee: 'Stop the fight' over Common... 14
- Obama back at White House after summer... 14
- Mourners gather in St. Louis for Brown... 13