But isn't that a long trip to make for a two-hour priesthood session that you can easily watch at your stake center, just a few minutes away from your home?
"There is just something special that you feel when you are there," he said. "I want my boys to feel that. So it isn't a sacrifice. It is a blessing to me that we live close enough that we can make that trip."
This year, especially, the trip is worth making.
"My eldest son is 17," Velez said. "You know how it is with boys that age. He's making important decisions about what he's going to do with his life. I want him to feel spiritual things, so the spirit can be part of the decision-making process for him."
So this weekend Velez and his son will make the trip from Las Vegas to Salt Lake together — a boy standing at a crossroads in his life, and a father with a prayer in his heart that coming to conference will make a difference.
And that he will feel something.
182nd Semiannual General Conference
Saturday general sessions will be held at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.; Sunday sessions will be held at 9:30 a.m. The general priesthood meeting will be held in the Conference Center on Saturday at 6 p.m.
Tickets are required for admission to all sessions in the Conference Center. To obtain tickets, please contact your local priesthood leader.
For general conference sessions, the Conference Center doors open 90 minutes before the session start time. Those with tickets should be in their seats 30 minutes before the session start time.Heady goes here
- LDS faith helps keep things in perspective...
- LDS position on gay, religious rights may...
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- LDS Church releases statement on construction...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- ABC's 'Nightline' takes a look into the lives...
- Pixar president speaks on creative culture at...
- BYUtv releases 'New Day for the Book of...
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 171
- Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay... 61
- LDS position on gay, religious rights... 52
- The LDS Church's call for balance... 37
- Defending the Faith: Rethinking... 29
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 26
- LDS Church releases statement on... 26
- Mitt Romney calls Utah home, could open... 20