PROVO — More trouble for the already troubled football program at Timpview High School in Provo. The school has now been stripped of a title.
Last year's trophies for the team's Region 8 football title and their seven region wins will be revoked after principals in the region met and found Timpview won those because of an ineligible player.
The player was found ineligible because of a mistake in paperwork. The player transferred from Timpview to Westlake High School in Saratoga Springs back to Timpview. The paperwork for the player apparently was not filled out properly, making him ineligible.
That same player is playing for Timpview this year and is eligible because everything has been cleared away as it should.
This is just one more blow to a Timpview football program that has taken its share of hard hits lately.
The school has won eight state titles since 1977, four in a row from 2006 to 2009. Because of the success and a number of players who have gone on to play major college football, some even call the school "Timpview U."
But last year, the school was audited. Coach Louis Wong was accused of misusing funds and he was fired. He later settled with the district.
Current head coach Cary Whittingham, Kyle Whittingham's brother, told the Daily Herald he's simply relieved to hear his team won't have to forfeit any games from this season. He says he wasn't a part of what happened last year.
Timpview is on probation for one year.
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org twitter: @andrewadamsksl
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 52
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 52
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48