FBI came and went to Benghazi in past 24 hours

By Eileen Sullivan

Associated Press

Published: Thursday, Oct. 4 2012 12:25 p.m. MDT

FILE - This Sept. 12, 2012 file photo shows Libyans walking on the grounds of the gutted U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, after an attack that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens. An independent panel appointed by Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton is opening its inquiry into the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, amid demands from Congress for speedy answers to questions about the security of the mission and concerns that the FBI investigation into the incident has been delayed.

Ibrahim Alaguri, File, Associated Press

WASHINGTON — The FBI says a team of agents arrived in Benghazi, Libya, on Wednesday to investigate last month's deadly attack on the U.S. consulate and has already left the city.

FBI spokeswoman Kathy Wright says the FBI agents were there just one day. She would not say where the team is headed.

Law enforcement officials had said that the FBI had been staying away from Benghazi for security reasons.

The FBI was investigating the terrorist attack that killed U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens, a State Department computer expert and two former U.S. Navy Seals on Sept. 11.

Asked at a news conference Thursday about the FBI's delay in getting to Benghazi, Attorney General Eric Holder said people should not assume that "all that we could do or have been doing" in the investigation is restricted solely to Benghazi.

The attorney general said that there are a variety of other places inside and outside Libya where "all these things could be done and have been done and that the matter has been under active investigation."

"I'm satisfied with the progress," Holder said.

Associated Press writer Pete Yost contributed to this report.

Get The Deseret News Everywhere

Subscribe

Mobile

RSS