Starpix, Marion Curtis, Associated Press
NEW YORK — "American Idol" season 12 tapings are just getting under way and Keith Urban has already become more than just a judge: He's also the pacifier on the newly minted panel.
"We're all passionate people and we're learning a new dance and we're all a work in progress," said Urban on Wednesday at the New York Film Festival gala honoring his wife, Nicole Kidman. He likened his role on "Idol" to that of the United Nations.
Rumors of drama between fellow judges Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey began to swirl as soon as the new panel was announced. A blurry web video released Tuesday by TMZ.com shows what appears to be an argument between Minaj and Carey, spurring on gossip of discontent.
But Urban insisted the group, which also includes veteran judge Randy Jackson, is "getting along." The new season of the Fox singing competition premieres in January.
In the web video Urban is seen raising his hands in defeat next to a seemingly furious Minaj, who is shouting obscenities. A composed Carey is heard saying, "Why do I have a 3-year-old sitting around me?"
When asked what it feels like to be stationed between the dueling divas Urban cracked a wry smile.
"Best seat in the house," he said.
Follow Nicole Evatt on Twitter at http://twitter.com/NicoleEvatt
- Photo gallery: Christmas around the world
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near Ferguson
- NORAD 'tracks' Santa's journey across globe
- Our six heroes of 2014
- Ex-President George H.W. Bush to stay...
- Final goodbye: A roll call of some who died...
- On Christmas, Obama marks end of Afghan combat
- Capacity crowds pack screenings of 'The...
- NYPD: Cop ambush killer told passers-by... 15
- Going it alone, Obama rocked the boat... 13
- Officer kills armed 18-year-old near... 10
- Pope in blistering critique of Vatican... 9
- Key developments in the case of slain... 9
- Killings of 2 New York officers trigger... 6
- Senate, CIA agree torture program was... 6
- Sony announces limited release for 'The... 5