Starpix, Marion Curtis, Associated Press
NEW YORK — "American Idol" season 12 tapings are just getting under way and Keith Urban has already become more than just a judge: He's also the pacifier on the newly minted panel.
"We're all passionate people and we're learning a new dance and we're all a work in progress," said Urban on Wednesday at the New York Film Festival gala honoring his wife, Nicole Kidman. He likened his role on "Idol" to that of the United Nations.
Rumors of drama between fellow judges Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey began to swirl as soon as the new panel was announced. A blurry web video released Tuesday by TMZ.com shows what appears to be an argument between Minaj and Carey, spurring on gossip of discontent.
But Urban insisted the group, which also includes veteran judge Randy Jackson, is "getting along." The new season of the Fox singing competition premieres in January.
In the web video Urban is seen raising his hands in defeat next to a seemingly furious Minaj, who is shouting obscenities. A composed Carey is heard saying, "Why do I have a 3-year-old sitting around me?"
When asked what it feels like to be stationed between the dueling divas Urban cracked a wry smile.
"Best seat in the house," he said.
Follow Nicole Evatt on Twitter at http://twitter.com/NicoleEvatt
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach...
- Comic-Con's dark side: Harassment amid the...
- Trial begins for Salt Lake attorney seeking...
- The Great War: 100 photos marking 100 years...
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- Be ready for 'prolonged' Gaza war, Netanyahu...
- NCAA settles head injury suit, will change rules
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all... 43
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Feds cap fines for not buying health... 22
- Obama maintains busy fundraising... 22
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- Fast food workers vow civil disobedience 15
- Gaza sides agree to lull but truce... 13
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10