Defending state medallist Justin Shluker of Park City High School shot a 73 to lead the field after the first round of play at the boys 3A state championship tournament.
Park City shot a 303 as a team and is poised to win its fifth straight state championship. The Miners are 16 shots up on second-place Union High School (319), which is hosting this year's state championship at Roosevelt Golf Course. The top five is rounded out by Pine View High School (328), Spanish Fork High School and Wasatch High School (329).
One of the players chasing Shluker is his Park City teammate Harry Hanskat, who shot a 76, and said it "feels like everyone is gunning for us" due to the recent winning tradition of Park City golf and the team's dominance in Region 10 this year. "It feels good actually. Everyone doesn't want us to win again."
Players were buffeted with high winds starting at around 10 a.m., leading to a profligation of scores in the 80s. The Park City players, who were among the first to tee off, escaped the worst of the conditions.
"I finished 10 holes before it got windy, and then it was instant wind," Hanskat said. "It got a lot harder within a minute."
In second place, just two strokes behind Shluker with a 75 is Dalton Jackson, who qualified individually out of Juab High School. Kaden McDonald's 76 and Dakota Denver's 77 led Union. Park City's Mitchell Schow and Jalen Roberts also fired 77s.
Three of the top five schools are from Region 10; Park City, Union, and Wasatch. Juan Diego Catholic, the fourth entrant from Region 10, lies further back but also made the cut.
Hanskat said there is a friendly rivalry between himself, Shluker, and Schow, who finished atop the region standings this year.
"It's weird, because you want your teammates to play well, but you still want to beat them," Hanskat said. "It motivates me more to beat them because we were so close."
1. Justin Shluker (Park City) - 73; 2. Dalton Jackson (Juab) - 75; 3. Harry Hanskat (Park City) - 76; Kaden McDonald (Union) - 76; Ryan Lowe (Juan Diego Catholic) - 76; 6. Mitchell Schow (Park City) - 77; Jalen Roberts (Park City) - 77; Dakota Denver (Union) - 77; 9. Hayden Hayward (Pine View) - 78; Robbi Etzel (Carbon) - 78; 11. Janzen Davis (Uintah) - 79; Kade Meason (Spanish Fork) - 79; Caden Henderson (Wasatch) - 79; AJ Orchard (Dixie) - 79; 15. Digger Arnold (Union) - 80; Brandt Pierce (Pine View) - 80; Spencer Smith (Ogden) - 80; Trey McCloud (Payson) - 80; Jared Kerber (Canyon View) - 80;
1. Park City 303; 2. Union 319; 3. Pine View 328; 4. (tied) Wasatch and Spanish Fork 329; 6. Desert Hills 330; 7. (tied) Juan Diego and Ogden 335; 9. Payson 336; 10. Snow Canyon 337
Missed the cut: Morgan 339, Dixie 343, Stansbury 344, Bear River 345, North Sanpete 345, Carbon 350
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Championship Thursday: Four prep state titles...
- High school soccer: Maple Mountain avenges...
- 4A baseball playoffs: Walk-off hits advance...
- 4A softball: Spanish Fork sweeps second...
- 5A softball: Eakle's walk-off home run gives...
- High school soccer: Viewmont snaps 21-year...
- 5A baseball playoffs: Rivals set to duke it...
- BYU football receives commitment from... 13
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball... 5
- Timpanogos takes home a 4A state... 3
- High school baseball: American Fork... 3
- High school soccer: Maple Mountain... 1
- 4A softball: Spanish Fork sweeps second... 1
- Championship Thursday: Four prep state... 0
- 4A baseball playoffs: Walk-off hits... 0