Utah Jazz: Marvin Williams acclimates to Jazz, Salt Lake City quickly
Jefferson has been enthused about the Jazz's move to acquire Williams from Atlanta, even though Utah traded away an All-Star starting point guard (Devin Harris) for the second consecutive year.
"When I found out (Marvin) was coming here, I just thought, 'Wow, another guy with playoff experience who knows what it takes to win,'" Jefferson said. "(He is) a great guy off the court also and a guy that's just got that winning attitude. All that can do is help us."
Williams didn't necessarily want to be traded. To Matt Harpring's liking, no doubt, he admitted, "I love Atlanta." But the 26-year-old is relishing the "fresh start." With career averages of 11.5 points and 5.3 rebounds, Williams is used to hearing about not living up to other people's expectations — an accusation he counters by saying he meets his own expectations and gives his full effort every day.
Being in a place with wide streets, an easy-to-navigate grid system, a playoff-rich history and supportive fans certainly gives him a refreshing sense of renewal.
"I'm going to compete. I'm going to play hard. I play to win," said Williams, who is set to make $8.3 million this year with a player option for 2013-14. "I think at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is to win. Coming into an organization that has been winning for a very long time, I'm really excited to be a part of something like that."
Something else Williams anticipates?
Using the ping-pong table at the Jazz's practice facility.
"I have my paddle in my backpack," the former team tennis table champ said. "Don't tell anybody, though. I'll bring it out when it's time."
Secret's safe with us.
Another thing you might've heard through the grapevine — this new Jazzman, Marvin Gaye Williams, was named after his dad who was named after, you guessed, the Prince of Motown.
Jazz fans will get their first chance to see No. 2 in action at Saturday's open scrimmage, which will take place at 4 p.m. in that big building on the corner of John Stockton Boulevard and Karl Malone Drive.
Here's betting Williams already knows how to get there.
EMAIL: email@example.com, TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
- Former UNC coach Dean Smith willed $200 to...
- BYU special teams features some 'mystery and...
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU...
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU rugby...
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL president...
- Utah Jazz assistants (well, two of 'em)...
- NCAA 'service work' has been eye-opening for...
- Morning links: Utes ranked among the...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 207
- BYU looking forward to an influx of... 53
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 29
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 20
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 19
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 19