Utah Jazz: Marvin Williams acclimates to Jazz, Salt Lake City quickly
Jefferson has been enthused about the Jazz's move to acquire Williams from Atlanta, even though Utah traded away an All-Star starting point guard (Devin Harris) for the second consecutive year.
"When I found out (Marvin) was coming here, I just thought, 'Wow, another guy with playoff experience who knows what it takes to win,'" Jefferson said. "(He is) a great guy off the court also and a guy that's just got that winning attitude. All that can do is help us."
Williams didn't necessarily want to be traded. To Matt Harpring's liking, no doubt, he admitted, "I love Atlanta." But the 26-year-old is relishing the "fresh start." With career averages of 11.5 points and 5.3 rebounds, Williams is used to hearing about not living up to other people's expectations — an accusation he counters by saying he meets his own expectations and gives his full effort every day.
Being in a place with wide streets, an easy-to-navigate grid system, a playoff-rich history and supportive fans certainly gives him a refreshing sense of renewal.
"I'm going to compete. I'm going to play hard. I play to win," said Williams, who is set to make $8.3 million this year with a player option for 2013-14. "I think at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is to win. Coming into an organization that has been winning for a very long time, I'm really excited to be a part of something like that."
Something else Williams anticipates?
Using the ping-pong table at the Jazz's practice facility.
"I have my paddle in my backpack," the former team tennis table champ said. "Don't tell anybody, though. I'll bring it out when it's time."
Secret's safe with us.
Another thing you might've heard through the grapevine — this new Jazzman, Marvin Gaye Williams, was named after his dad who was named after, you guessed, the Prince of Motown.
Jazz fans will get their first chance to see No. 2 in action at Saturday's open scrimmage, which will take place at 4 p.m. in that big building on the corner of John Stockton Boulevard and Karl Malone Drive.
Here's betting Williams already knows how to get there.
EMAIL: email@example.com, TWITTER: DJJazzyJody
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for NBA...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Guest commentary: Should the Jazz trade their...
- Photo gallery: NFL players with local ties...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's unexpected NCAA qualifier...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 113
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 64
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 50
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 30
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 23
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 14
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8